We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hillsboro to Govt Camp in rental Car

Hillsboro
Level Contributor
70 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hillsboro to Govt Camp in rental Car

Hi,

Planning to rent a car from Enterprise for a family day trip to Goverment Camp Ski bowl, checked with enterprise, there cars are having MUD & SNOW Tires but if I put the Chains, and if there are any damage it will not be covered under insurance, so I am sort of into catch 22 situation, of whether to go to Govt camp at all or not, this is our first year in Portland area, and we were waiting to go to Mt Hood to do some snow fun.

My Question is, Do I really need to put on chains even if the car is having a M&S tires, just to go till Govt camp, at this time of the year, I am not going any up then that. If at all, it is required, Is there a possibility that the tire chain damage the car. :(

Other option is to take the Shuttle, but shuttle doesnt stop at Govt camp ski bowl, it goes to Mt hood Meadows, which doesnt have snow tubing/snow shoeing, we are not into Skiing or snow boarding, and are having some sr citizens, with us, so just wanted to go there for snowshoe.

Indigo Creek Outfitters
River Rafting & Tubing, Beer Tastings & Tours, Boat Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Noah's River Adventures
River Rafting & Tubing, Boat Tours
Seventh Mountain River Company
River Rafting & Tubing, Kayaking & Canoeing, Gear Rentals, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hillsboro to Govt Camp in rental Car

If the highway dept requires chains, you must have chains. Sounds like maybe you will need to change your plans. Chuck.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hillsboro to Govt Camp in rental Car

if ODOT says you need chains- its best to heed their advice. It will just depend on the weather... there are many shuttle services up to Mt Hood- a few I think do stop at Govt. Camp and ski bowl... you may have found the meadows specific one...

mthood.info/travel/mt-hood-travel-transporta…

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,180 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hillsboro to Govt Camp in rental Car

Try dollar Rent a car? They seem to work with the ski areas.

,m

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,360 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hillsboro to Govt Camp in rental Car

>> Is there a possibility that the tire chain damage the car. <<

Yes, tire chains CAN damage a car if they are not properly installed and kept tight. Are you experienced driving in the snow? Have you put chains on before?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,282 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hillsboro to Govt Camp in rental Car

Chains can also break, and if that happens then it can do a lot of damage to the underside of the vehicle.

It sounds like you are not familiar with driving in snow. If that is the case, then I highly recommend finding another way to get there. I have no personal knowledge of this, but you might check out some of the tour companies and they may do day trips up there.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hillsboro to Govt Camp in rental Car

We used to take our kids to a bus somewhere here in Tigard to get to Mt Hood. would guess there are more options in Hillsboro. Curious why you need to rent a car. Do you not have any car transportation?

I would not put chains on a rental unless you really know how to put chains on then drive with them

Edited: 5:23 pm, December 13, 2013
7. Re: Hillsboro to Govt Camp in rental Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, December 15, 2014