We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from seattle to newport via Portland and gorge

MN
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from seattle to newport via Portland and gorge

My husband and I are coming to OR for the first time. We will be driving from MN, seeing Seattle in three days and then coming to the OR coast. What is the best way to drive to get from Seattle to Newport seeing the Gorge and waterfalls? We have reservations in Newport but should we stop overnight somewhere along the way? We'd love to see Cannon Beach too. My husband has never seen the ocean before. Thanks for your advice.

Oregon
Level Contributor
423 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from seattle to newport via Portland and gorge

There are several options, depending on how much time you have. My advice is to head south from Seattle on I-5 [the major interstate that runs the length of the west]. At Portland, head east on I-84; at Corbett, take the Historic Columbia River Highway [http://www.columbiariverhighway.com/]. The meanders past all sorts of waterfalls; scenic vistas; it's lovely. You can stop and see many waterfalls; take short hikes to some. You can continue to Hood River for lunch/dinner, or head back to Portland on the highway, or take the faster freeway [I84].

At Portland, you can connect to Highway 26 which will take you directly to Cannon Beach; from there you take Highway 101 to Newport. I believe that is about 100 miles, though there are soo many places to stop and things to see -- you could easily turn that into a trip unto itself. :-)

The other option is to drive south on I-5 from Portland and turn west to the coast at Salem [Hwy 22, I believe] and then down to Newport; or head all the way south to Corvallis and take Hwy 20 directly to Newport.

If you are wine drinkers, you could take 99W south out of Portland and stop at wineries as you head south. 99W roughly parallels I-5.

MN
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from seattle to newport via Portland and gorge

Thanks for the help. Do you think we can go from Portland up to Multnomah Falls, and then reverse course, head to CannonFalls and down to Newport in a day? We'll then have a few days in the Newport area to explore.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,950 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from seattle to newport via Portland and gorge

We live in the Newport area and depending upon Portland traffic it takes about 6 hours to get from Newport to Seattle - using the fastest routes of Hwy 20 and I-5.

So I would suggest you plan for an overnight so you can take your time :-)

Edited: 6:47 pm, June 30, 2013
Oregon
Level Contributor
423 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from seattle to newport via Portland and gorge

I think technically you *could* do that, but, it would be a lot of time in the car and little time to enjoy the route. If you drove the interstate to Multnomah Falls, spent 30 minutes there, and drove back on the freeway, you could do it in 2.5 hours. If you took the highway out and freeway back in; stopped at Crowne Point overlook for 15 minutes, dashed to Multnomah Falls, and just drove by without stopping at the other falls, you *could* do that in 3-ish hours. Getting back through Portland, getting on 26 and driving to Cannon Beach would be 2 hours.

I am assuming that you want to go to Cannon Beach to see the town, roam around Ecola State Park, walk the beach. Gosh, if you started your day in Portland at 8:00 a.m., you would be in Cannon Beach around 1:00; if you spent 2 hours around there, and hit the road and did not stop until you got to Newport, you could be there by early evening.

I don't know -- it would be a bit like dashing through dinner in a five-star restaurant. :-o

Where are you going after Newport? Could you catch either the Cannon Beach or Columbia Gorge on the return trip so you can dawdle a bit?

MN
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from seattle to newport via Portland and gorge

We will overnight along the way and then drive to Newport. Thanks for the advice!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from seattle to newport via Portland and gorge

I would overnight in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. there are so many things to see and do than just Multnomah Falls. If you have never seen that it deserves more than 15 minutes.

MrsO

7. Re: Driving from seattle to newport via Portland and gorge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 04, 2014