We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Circular Roadtrip, Trip Suggestions

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Oregon Circular Roadtrip, Trip Suggestions

Trip so far: http://goo.gl/maps/q0HE6

I am just wondering if anyone has ideas to improve my trip. Things that are a must see. I was in Portland 2 years ago, and traveled just within the city, (as well as heading to Seattle, and Vancouver). But now I am doing a solely Oregon roadtrip with some friends.

Flying into Portland July 24th.

N1 & N2 in Portland: Brewerfest' is a must hit for us. (went 2 years ago and it was great).

N3 & N4: Drive from Portland to Columbia River Gorge, then down to Bend. We are going to a Wedding of some college friends so we will have plenty to do there. (but any suggestions would be great).

N5: From Bend to Crater Lake and end up that night in Eugene.

N6: Drive from Euguen to Coast, drive all the way up coast exploring ending that night in Astoria.

N7: Back in Portland for flights the next day.

-->Basically I would love some areas/places to stop along my route. I would be willing to change the route if you suggest other places to stop. From restaurants/diners you can't miss to bars/breweries and other activities of all kinds. Even if its just "you have to stop at town X on your way to Y place for the view." I want to avoid just driving from Point A to B. I'd love to avoid major highways and really explore the state. I really fell in love with everything it had to offer.

Budget: So far my estimates for hotels, gas, car, is $350 for each of the three of us. Another $300-400 in living expenses for that time would be good. Flight was $450. (NY to PDX)

Travel Companions: 3 mid-twenties guys.

Likes/Dislikes: I'd really love any and all suggestions.

Thank You!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Circular Roadtrip, Trip Suggestions

Lots to see/to do, in Bend area.

http://www.visitbend.com/

traveloregon.com/Explore-Oregon/Central-Oreg…

Eugene to Florence, good; then see

Yachats/Cape Perpetua, spectacular Nice bar/restaurant, music at night, http://www.the-drift-inn.com/

Edited: 10:58 am, June 13, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,563 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Circular Roadtrip, Trip Suggestions

I was going to suggest reversing your route (so you can drive down the coast) but since you need to be in Bend on particular days that won't work. :-/

Other than the Brewfest you don't really mention what activities you are interested in so I'll stick to beer & brewing. :-) If there are other activities you're interested in finding, give a shout.

The Brewfest in Portland will be fun. Check out Horse Brass Pub, if you don't go to breweries.

In Hood River you should visit Double Mountain.

In Bend check out the Ale Trail and consider a tour since you're short on time. (Wanderlust's "Brew Bus" is probably the most popular, but the GETIT Shuttle also offers tours.) My favorite breweries here are Crux, Boneyard, and Ale Apothecary. Visit Broken Top Bottle Shop, Platypus, or Blue Pine Kitchen if you are looking for good tap variety and/or flights. If you are "beer'd out" then do a distillery tour instead (Oregon Spirit and Bendistillery).

In Eugene try to visit Ninkasi's tasting room. Hop Valley has a pub in Springfield - they are "just OK" in my opinion but worth a stop. I've never been in town when Oakshire's facility is open to the public but it's on my "to do" list.

On the coast, go to Rogue (Newport, mainly), Pelican (Pac City) and definitely Ft. George (Astoria). When we were in Yachats last winter it looked like there might be a new brewery going in there, but not sure about it.

There are several breweries in Vancouver, WA - I don't know much about them unfortunately.

Level Contributor
34,499 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Circular Roadtrip, Trip Suggestions

If you go to Astoria, don't miss stopping at The Bowpicker for fish n chips. It is located right next to The Maritime Museum. A visit to the museum would also be educational and fun. They have a cool Shark 3 D movie playing there that we want to see soon. Happy Travels! :)

4. Re: Oregon Circular Roadtrip, Trip Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 15, 2014