We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good base in Oregon for fishing/white water/sightseeing

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
Good base in Oregon for fishing/white water/sightseeing

We are doing college visits in CA and then wanted to head to Oregon for ~5 days. (plan to be there the last week in June through July 2/3). We prefer to travel and stay in one location and then go to places during the day. My son (17) and husband want to fish and go rafting. We also want to focus on visiting most unique places for sightseeing.

I've been reading alot and not sure where the best place to locate a place to stay. I suspect we'll travel up through the Redwood Forest and then determine where to go to from there.

We would appreciate any advice on the best location to stay and best attractions to visit. We don't want every day to be booked, but places we can go on our own and enjoy. But, obviously plan to book the fishing and rafting excursions.

We may travel up to Portland to fly out -- still deciding best place to fly out and return to Dallas.

Thanks so much!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good base in Oregon for fishing/white water/sightseeing

If your main interests are great fishing and rafting you should look into the Bend area, the sun river area would offer some great options for both of these activities

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,573 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good base in Oregon for fishing/white water/sightseeing

Freshwater or ocean fishing? Bait or fly? River or lake? You'll need to check the Fish & Wildlife info to see what's running and allowed and what licenses/tags will be required. Also, what colleges will you be visiting (so we can suggest best nearby locations)?

thanks and good fishing, both for fish and for schools

www.dfw.state.or.us/RR/fishing_forecast/

www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/licenses_regs/

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,570 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good base in Oregon for fishing/white water/sightseeing

By rafting do you mean white water rafting? Or tubing? or canoe?

There are many places for all of the above in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area.

Let us know if that interests you. That and waterfalls.

Mrs O

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,570 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good base in Oregon for fishing/white water/sightseeing

I am sorry I just saw you want white water. Sage Rafting up in Deschutes above the CRGNSA or Zoller's Rafting on the White Salmon are the ones that I know. Yesterday was busy for me. Gardening time has started.

The White Salmon in WA just across from Cascade Locks is a lower elevation and they have all you need, wet suits etc. for your afternoon. They are about an hour from Portland.

The Deschutes is up above the CRGNSA in the high desert.

Both are beautiful areas.

MRsO

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good base in Oregon for fishing/white water/sightseeing

assuming the schools are in California, given the time of year, Id head to Bend for optimum weather and choices for fishing(lake, fly fishing, etc) and white water rafting on the Deschutes. It might still be too cold for enjoyable white water rafting west of the cascades.

From Redwoods head east through Crater Lake national park(southern entrance) and then on to Bend via hwy 97. Im thinking SunRiver resort or Camp Sherman might have alot to offer for you....

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,570 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good base in Oregon for fishing/white water/sightseeing

Up on the Deschutes in Maupin I should have said. Just caught my typo.

Sorry.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,788 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good base in Oregon for fishing/white water/sightseeing

We really need *more information* from TXChleo.

See post 2.

8. Re: Good base in Oregon for fishing/white water/sightseeing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 08, 2014