We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Oregon or Washington

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
10 days in Oregon or Washington

We are seeking advice for vacation ideas. We are going to spend 10 days in July somewhere in Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Montana, Utah or N. California. We like to do short hikes (max 16 miles roundtrips) with great scenery. We would like to spend 5 days in a cozy mountain city and do a road trip for the other 5-6 days. So far we have enjoyed Jackson Hole, WY, Ouray, Colorado, Bar Harbor, ME,

Mendocino, CA, Monterrey, CA. It would be nice if we could walk in the city center in the evening after having a nice dinner. Our favorite National Parks so far are Yosemite, Grand Teton, Zion, Acadia, and Grand Canyon. North Cascade has great views but, when we traveled through it at the end June there was still too much snow on the trails, and the same goes for Olympics NP (beach was great though). We are a 45+ year old couple from Georgia who enjoy traveling and seeing new places. We will greatly appreciate any help! Thanks!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in Oregon or Washington

Alex: Have you heard the old saying" You have the cart before the horse"? Well, you do. You need to figure out where you want to go, because that part isn't up to us. And to do that, you need to read postings, travel books, use Google and/or Bing. Make an itinerary. Then, come back on the appropriate forum for answering your questions, and we'll be very happy to help you fine tune.

Another big problem with your post is that you are asking about National Parks and locations not in Oregon. Good Luck.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in Oregon or Washington

Be gentle, Chuck. The OP is fairly new to posting on TA and we don't want to scare him away.

Portland is a great city with oodles of hiking trails right in the city. The Gorge also has lots of hiking and it is beautiful. Bend has great mountains and it is a nice town. That should get you started on some research!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in Oregon or Washington

Thanks for the reminder, PDX. Sorry, Alex.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in Oregon or Washington

Ashland is nice town with a summer long Shakespeare festival and a beautiful city park that is a good southern base point if you want to visit Crater Lake NP. Jacksonville is a nearby old west art town.

I second Bend as it has similar access to CLNP (from the north) and to many other great activities such as the High Desert Museum, Newberry Caldera, Smith Rock SP and the Cascade Lakes scenic byway.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days in Oregon or Washington

Sun River sounds like a good place for you. Or Black Butte. Central Oregon Cascades have some nice hikes. Three Sisters for example. Many private rentals in both places

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days in Oregon or Washington

Thank you all for such informative, well-thought-out advice.

Level Contributor
34,465 posts
889 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days in Oregon or Washington

Some time on the Oregon Coast would be nice. Ecola State Park, Fort Stevens State Park, Oswald West State Park are all gorgeous areas of the northern coast to explore. Happy Travels! :)

Victoria, British...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 days in Oregon or Washington

My husband and I just got back from yet another trip down the Oregon coast. If you do get a chance I totally recommend it. TONS of State parks to hike in, or just pull into a wayside and walk down to the many public ocean beaches and walk for miles and miles. If you do decide to go I would suggest not missing out on the Oregon Dunes, and any of the beaches just north of Florence. Amazingly beautiful!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,570 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 days in Oregon or Washington

Hi, Alex G

The Gorge that PDXW is telling you about is the 295K-acre Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. It starts in Troutdale and kind of ends in The Dalles. Where the Deschutes confluences with the Columbia River Gorge.

There are 77 waterfalls in this area. The most viewed one is Multnomah Falls. There is a scenic drive you can take to get there at exit 18 in Troutdale. Basalt cliffs and several rivers coming together as the US only sea level gorge.

I can get you more information if you would like.you can look at it as well.. www.crgnsa.gov

Best,

Mrs O

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 days in Oregon or Washington

Thanks everybody! Big help.