We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to Portland Sightseeing Suggestions

3 posts
Save Topic
Seattle to Portland Sightseeing Suggestions

Looking for help with travel planning for nine days in early June. Flying into Seattle, departing Portland (coming from Chicago). Not sure which city/airport is better to begin/end in though.

Ideally just looking to spend some time along the coast in a vacation rental, preferably Oregon, and some scenic drives of nearby National parks and attractions. Not looking to spend more than a day in either city, but rather more exploring of the areas in between. Easy day trips (scenic drives), etc.

I've read through some guides and the forums and feel overwhelmed, nervous I'll miss something. But honestly, I'm just looking for a nice and easy get away from living city life!

Any ideas for this laid back traveler?

Crater Lake
Hiking Trails, Bodies of Water, National Parks, Volcanos, Waterfalls
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,239 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seattle to Portland Sightseeing Suggestions

Hi MariMaggs,

The waterfalls area is in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area nearby to Portland.The only National Park here is

Since you are overwhelmed, I will just suggest the Grandaddy of them all here and that is Multnomah Falls, the most visited attraction in Oregon.

You could google it and see if it is something you would like. We have lots of rentals in the Gorge and lots of scenic Views.

I would consider flying into Portland (PDX) since you are talking Oregon.

The locals on the coast will be here shortly to help you more with the coast.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,517 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seattle to Portland Sightseeing Suggestions

Hmmm, since you don't sound very interested in the cities, why bother with both? If you flew round trip to Portland, you could stay there for a night or two and see the Columbia Gorge.

Then head out to the coast - look at quiet Manzanita - and relax. From there you could drive to many state parks and countless lovely scenic areas.

Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seattle to Portland Sightseeing Suggestions

I agree with half-Brit. Fly in and out of PDX. Addressing primarily the idea of seeing the coast...... the Washington coast is not as scenic as the Oregon coast - more inland driving and fewer breathtaking coastal vistas. You'll spend too much time trying to get to Seattle and miss your relaxation/vacation time.

On the Oregon coast you can find any number of small towns and out of the way places for R&R like Manzanita, Pacific City and Rockaway on the north coast. I love this site: http://visittheoregoncoast.com - drag your cursor over the towns on the map and select to view them.

In 9 days you could really do it up nicely with a trip to the Gorge (Multnomah Falls, Hood River, etc) for a few days followed by a week at the coast. Then a leisurely drive back to PDX to head for home.

4. Re: Seattle to Portland Sightseeing Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 13, 2014
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor