We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay longer Portland or Coast

atlanta
Level Contributor
63 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Stay longer Portland or Coast

My hubby and I will be 1st time visitors to Oregon middle of June. We will arrive on Friday night and leave the following Sat. We enjoy staying several nights in one place to "breathe" in the atmosphere. Would we be better off spending the weekend in Portland or the coast? Three nights in each or to long? Is there another area we should stay? We were planning on driving to the Columbia Gorge area from Portland. Thanks!u

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay longer Portland or Coast

With a short week, most I would spend in Portland is two days. The coast, and Gorge and Mt ST Helens deserve more time. and you have just touched NW natural things

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay longer Portland or Coast

You'll probably find more lodging availability at the Coast during the week, rather than weekend. I'd stay in Portland on the weekend (sometimes hotel rates are a bit lower then) and do the Coast and/or Gorge during the week.

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
68 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay longer Portland or Coast

I would stay longer on Coast, Portland is not huge city so you can explore it in 2 days.

Level Contributor
35,266 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay longer Portland or Coast

Longer at the coast! :)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,999 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay longer Portland or Coast

Longer in the National Scenic Area that is the Columbia River Gorge. More waterfalls and scenery and the number one attraction in this area. Multnomah Falls. A little less than 80k acres of beauty.

Also closer to Portland and you can see more because of the lack of driving time.

Best,

MrsO

atlanta
Level Contributor
63 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay longer Portland or Coast

So would you suggest I travel stay in Portland and travel to the gorge on two different days?

Thanks!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,999 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay longer Portland or Coast

You could choose to stay in the Gorge in Hood River, In Troutdale at the beginning of the Gorge (closer to the airport) or in Portland (beyond the airport and Troutdale.). Your choice.

Many nice BnBs in the city of Hood River. We stay often there. Small relaxing river community where you feel like you are at home they are so friendly. Good wineries there too.

You are welcome!

Edited: 3:43 pm, March 05, 2013
atlanta
Level Contributor
63 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay longer Portland or Coast

I was just checking out Sakura Ridge in Hood River. Since we want to do both how would you suggest we go. Portland to coast to Hood River to airport home?

Edited: 4:06 pm, March 05, 2013
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay longer Portland or Coast

For sure Gorge deserves one day and can be day trip from Portland. I would not count that as a day visiting Portland. So kind of depends on how many days you want seeing Portland. Personally i think one is enough when there are so many natural things to see.

My wife worked one week in Atlanta. I went with her and found interesting things to do the days she worked and we spent one day visiting highlights when her work was done.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,999 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay longer Portland or Coast

Me, I would stay in Hood River first because it's so pretty and has so much to offer. Then come back as far as Troutdale and take Troutdale Blvd to Boring to Damascus to the coast (saves you a big intersection on the freeway near Portland that backs up and little backtracking at all and is nice country drive) then come back to Portland. I always like to stay close to the airport last.

Glad you found a good one! I like Sakura Ridge. (how about that view there?)

MrsO

Edited: 4:40 pm, March 05, 2013