We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland - End of March to early April

Toronto
Level Contributor
141 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Portland - End of March to early April

Planning a trip to Portland Oregan from the very end of March to the beginning of April. Wondering what the weather be like. I don't mind cool weather as I'm from Toronto but I've read that it's constantly raining.

Also, any interesting places to visit? Very into history, boutique/antique shopping, museums etc. I have a list of items I'd like to see but sometimes people can offer some unique ideas.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,540 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland - End of March to early April

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g52024-Activitie…

Weather could be anything, including what you've described...or sunny. But won't be hot. Check the attractions listed on the above website. Also, let us know how many days you'll be here, whether you'll have a car and how far afield you're willing to go (coast, Willamette Valley wine district, Columbia Gorge, etc.).

Toronto
Level Contributor
141 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland - End of March to early April

We will be going from March 26th - April 1st and will not be driving as I hear that Portland has a really great public transit system and cycling community. We're willing to travel but would prefer not spending the majority of our time on a bus going from location to location.

Things we will most likely be interested in taking a look at are

The many parks

VooDoo Donuts

Pittock Mansion

Wherever all the food trucks are

Some sort of brewery tour

and if you have any really cool neighbourhoods that we should check out.

Also any recommendations on hotels or places we must go and eat!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland - End of March to early April

I noticed on that list Oneonta Gorge. It will be slippery and cold and dangerous at that time of year' I wouldn't chance it. Multtnomah Falls in the Gorge woud be great though. But sadlybut sadly, need a car to get to it or a tour.

The Food Cart Pods are everywhere!

MrsO

Level Contributor
36,367 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland - End of March to early April

Portland has great art museum you should schedule time for. Have fun! :)

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,203 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland - End of March to early April

Go to www.weatherbase.com for historical weather data. It no more "rains all the time" in Portland than it does in Seattle. (I have been in some real frog-strangling rainstorms in Houston and Galveston....seldom see that kind of rain in the northwest.)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland - End of March to early April

Yes, bobmge me too, where the water backs up in the levies. Bad..

We do have some rain all the time, But so do other cities. We just go about our business and do what we planned. If we let rain stop us, we would sit home all the time.Except in winter time, it is not a bad rain.

Mrs O

Toronto
Level Contributor
141 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland - End of March to early April

I don't mind a little rain or cool weather so that won't bother me. People were making it seemed like it would be constantly rainy.

I might have to rent a car as people keep suggesting things just outside the city. Also wouldn't mind renting a bike and just checking out some really great neighbourhoods.

I will definitely check our the art museum, thanks for the suggestions!

Toronto
Level Contributor
141 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portland - End of March to early April

In terms of hotels, I've done a little research and the hotels are really nice and reasonably priced. But can someone suggest a hotel that would be in the perfect/great area of the city?

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,203 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Portland - End of March to early April

You might take a look at webcams in Portland to get an idea of what the weather is like. Use portland, or + webcams as a search argument....there are plenty to choose from.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Portland - End of March to early April

Re: Post #8 Could you list some of the 'really nice and reasonably priced' hotels you've found, so we can get a better feel for the type of hotel you like, budget, etc.?

Areas that are 'perfect/great' abound in Portland, but to each their own (i.e. some like an urban high-rise in the midst of the city, some a boutique at the fringe of an urban area, others a b&b or rental in a neighborhood). For a first time visitor downtown (which is often 'SW' as a prefix to street addresses) is maybe *best*, simply because its nearest to criss-crossing transit (MAX/Streetcar and numerous bus routes) and a mix of 'brand-name' and boutique shops and restaurants. Downtown is a good base point for branching out to the rest of the city. Again a list of the hotels you found would help, as I suspect many are here...

If you want a place just outside of downtown, but close enough AND on the Streetcar route, look at The Inn at Northrup Station. If you like quirky and don't mind being 10 minutes outside of downtown, in a residential neighborhood, look at McMenamins Kennedy School...

If you plan on renting bikes while here, this is a good resource: portlandoregon.gov/transportation/…71974

PBoT also has a bunch of excellent maps available - good for biking, hiking or general exploring: www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/34809

For history, stop by the Visitors Information Center at Pioneer Courthouse Square - they have many free handouts re: historical walks (unguided) around downtown - architecture, art, fountains, parks, etc. Also the Oregon Historical Society & History Museum may interest you: http://www.ohs.org/

And I'd be remiss if I didn't drop a small plug for Portland Walking Tours (p.s. I give the Best of Portland tour a couple times a month) - the 'Underground' or 'Best' tours may interest you most: www.portlandwalkingtours.com :)

For antiques (not my forte, but I know a few places...), explore the Sellwood neighborhood in SE Portland. sellwoodwestmoreland.com/…

For Food Carts, this is a great resource: http://www.foodcartsportland.com/ Scroll down the right hand side and see categories based on location or cuisine. There are several main 'pods' (groupings) in downtown (SW 10th/Alder; SW 5th/Oak; SW 3rd/Stark) and several more pods in NE & SE neighborhoods.

For beer tours: Brewvana if you want a guided bus tour with at least 4 stops at various pubs (scheduled stops vary); sometimes you get brewers or special guests along the way. Pubs of Portland for a guided tour that involves some walking and hopping on/off the MAX or Streetcar (Marc is an excellent guide). http://www.experiencebrewvana.com/ or http://www.pubsofportlandtours.com/

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Brian

Edited: 5:28 pm, January 15, 2013