We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive along coast to Portland for 2 adults, no kids

11 posts
Save Topic
Drive along coast to Portland for 2 adults, no kids

All the info on the drive from San Francisco to Portland was really helpful. But does anyone have suggestions for planning a 2-3 day drive for a married couple who are leaving all kids at home? We would love to stay at a romantic spot, enjoy wine, spas and great food, and like to shop along the way. Should we start in San Francisco or farther north to our final stopping point of Portland? We will be making this trip the first week of May. Thanks for the info.

1. Re: Drive along coast to Portland for 2 adults, no kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, January 24, 2006
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive along coast to Portland for 2 adults, no kids

2 - 3 days isn't a lot of time, considering all there is to see and do along the coast. You'll need to prioritize. If you were to start north of San Francisco, how would you get there?

My wife and I stayed at Tu Tu Tun Lodge, near Gold Beach late last summer. It nicely fits your description, except maybe for the spa. But I'm guessing you'll find you won't want to take the time for spa day anyway. Google for the website.

11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive along coast to Portland for 2 adults, no kids

Thanks for your helpful info. I found the Tu Tu Tun site, and I'm hooked. We definitely will stay there. You're right, San Francisco will be too ambitious a drive to make in 2-3 days. The relaxing ambiance of the Tu Tu Tun Lodge is too inviting. Since Portland is around 6 hours from there, do you have any suggestions of small towns, sights to see on the way to Portland?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive along coast to Portland for 2 adults, no kids

The coastline between Brookings and Port Orford is some of the most spectacular in Oregon, and with many roadside parks, there will be no shortage of opportunities to view it.

You'd enjoy a walk around Bandon's old town, and maybe even a meal there. The lighthouse at the mouth of the Coquille River is a popular stop. And if you play golf - maybe even if you don't - you would definitely enjoy a stop at Bandon Dunes Golf Resort.

Just north of North Bend you can get a taste of the Oregon (sand) Dunes. Then, I think I'd head inland at Reedsport on Hwy 38, along the Umpqua River, another of Oregon's many scenic routes. Once you get to I-5, you'll still have 3 hours to Portland.

11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive along coast to Portland for 2 adults, no kids

Thanks mistletoe, you've been very helpful. Is Cannon Beach worth a stop? I've read some posts regarding the Stephanie Inn. Any thoughts? I'm looking forward to seeing Portland, even though on business.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,163 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive along coast to Portland for 2 adults, no kids

pclaire, I am enjoying the advice you are getting also, as we have recently moved to Portland and I take all of mistletoes advice :!

* Being a long time resident, he really knows what he is talking about :) *

This summer we are looking forward to seeing more of the coast that we were able to see last year, so your thread is timely for us !

Enjoy your visit to Portland!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive along coast to Portland for 2 adults, no kids

Thanks Scarlett (where's an emoticon when you need one?). It's amazing how much stuff you just pick up after having lived here for so long. And let me return the compliment! In your short time here, you've become one to whom I look for Portland dining suggestions (honest... that's intended as compliment ;-))

pclaire, Yes, Cannon Beach is worth a stop, if only to spend some time at Ecola State Park, just north of town. The town itself it pretty artsy/cutesy too. And then there's Haystack Rock. I'd place Stephanie Inn a notch or two below Tu Tu Tun - except for price.. ouch! Still, it's the nicest place we've stayed in Cannon Beach. And I'm sure you'd like it too. BUT!!! Cannon Beach is a LONG ways from Gold Beach (I'm guessing 300 miles). You wouldn't want to make that drive in one day. Depending on how long you're in Portland, you could make Cannon Beach a day trip from here. It's only 1.5 hours away.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive along coast to Portland for 2 adults, no kids

You could break up the trip a little by staying a night in Neskowin, about 7 miles north of Lincoln City. Grey Fox Rentals runs a really neat little 8-plex of rentable condos there that are right on the beach and overlook Proposal Rock. Keep in mind that this is one of the least touristy towns on the coast, so you won't find any stupid salt-water taffy shops or cheesy t-shirt stands. But the one restaurant/bar in town has some of the best food on the coast.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,163 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive along coast to Portland for 2 adults, no kids

LOL mistletoe, as long as the emoticon is not an oinking one lol.

Oregone is also a long time resident with great advice..I am just a newbie who doesn't want to cook :D