We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast help

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,922 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Oregon Coast help

Greetings from the UK.

We are just starting to plan our trip this October to The Pacific North West. We fly into Seattle on Oct 4th (arrive 2.30pm) and have to be in Ashland to visit a friend by the evening of the 7th (long story).

Our first night is booked at a small town called Centralia in Washington state. This leaves 3 days (2 nights) to see the coast. After we leave Ashland we head back north and plan to stay somewhere in or around Portland for three nights so that we can visit The Columbia River Gorge and possibly Mount St Helens.

We like B&B's and would prefer to base ourselves in one place for those 2 nights. How practical is that or should we be looking to stay the 5th in somewhere like Newport and the 6th further south in Coos Bay or Bandon?

Also, rather than Portland are there any small towns that would make a good base for the 3 nights after we leave Ashland?

Many thanks in advance.

Adam C

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Ashland
Ashland
Oregon
Washington
Washington
United States
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Oregon Coast help

I am new to these boards and was checking Wash where you said Oreg part was set and now you want to do Wash part. Looked like you had more than enough help there.

But I decided to check what you found here.

Hwy 38/138 much prettier than 42 and faster. Much of it along the Umpqua River. and not a lot of coast to see goint that way. I would drive south of Reedsport to Umpqua Lighthouse for views of Bay and Dunes

I took thos routes from Gold Beach to Grants Pass several times. They are Forest Service roads from Agness to Galice and do get steep and narrow. I owrked for FS so drove those kinds of roads often, but they are not for everyone. Last time I went they were still paved but that was a dozen years ago and more.

Not sure I would visit the Aquarium in a reasonably short visit to the coast. It is very nice aqaurium but it is an aquariume like others.

Oregon coast has so much to see. Rugged headlands sandy beaches, sand dunes, bays and lighthouses.

Depoe Bay great stop, and Boiler Bay near there. Devils Churn and Cape Perpetua south of Yachats. And I could go on.

Mentioned in this post
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,922 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Oregon Coast help

Thanks phirl.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Oregon Coast help

just to let you know of a great bed and breakfast we stayed in last october.It is in Seaside Oregon,it is called the 10th ave bed and breakfast,it is half a block from the ocean.Seaside is on the north part of the oregon coast,cheers

Mentioned in this post
Seaside
Seaside
Oregon Coast, OR