We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wow! I'm too late?

boston
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wow! I'm too late?

I was born in 1946, the first offical birth year for babyboomers. My husband and I have lived in Seattle and Portland for about 15 years; we now live just north of Boston.

We've thought for quite a while that we'd retire to the southern Oregon area. A few years ago, I read that Ashland home prices had gone through the roof. Now I read that even Medford prices are 45% overvalued.

So I have to work a few more years. I'm looking for a modest house on a half-acre of land. I'd like to raise and show Scottish Terriers and I love to garden. I found what looked like some reasonable prices for home in Roseburg -- is this town OK or one of the armpits?

I cannot afford to spend $600,000 on a house and retire at the same time. Maybe I should start looking at Tennessee?

Bend, OR
Level Contributor
899 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wow! I'm too late?

I hear hawaii is nice : )

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,164 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wow! I'm too late?

It is a huge state, are there any other cities that appeal to you?

What about along the coast?

A modest house to garden and raise pups is such a lovely goal..one that I would not mind having also :)

Good luck! Keep trying!

ps- Tennessee is nice but Portland/Oregon is better :D

boston
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wow! I'm too late?

Yes, Hawaii would be nice.

We plan to spend two weeks in Oregon next spring, summer, or fall to look around and refresh our knowledge of the area. Perhaps we'll get inspired then. It's quite a big decision, you know. But I've always felt that I'm better suited to the West Coast than to the East Coast, where I am now. Not that I don't admire Boston; it's a very interesting city in a very interesting area. Much beauty, also, and cultural opportunities. But most of our relatives are on the West Coast so moving there makes sense.

I'll just have to get reacclimated to ordering Dungeness crab, rather than lobster.

Any tips on cities or towns that might be suitable for us would be much appreciated. I do like the idea of the long growing season in southern Oregon,

northern Illinois
Level Contributor
266 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wow! I'm too late?

Hi Callaloo,I was born in 1950,lived in Portland,then sent to a job in Illinois.We live close to Milwaukee and reasonable drive to Chicago.Both interesting cities.We are being "Called back" if you will ,to Oregon as I have relatives there.I am a gardener and dog lover.I would love to raise Wheaton Terriors.Also,would love to have a shelter/home/property for unwanted dogs.We are checking out Ashland and the Bend/sisters areas.Both fast growing and easier climates on my current husband (of 34 years) who turned into a golfing grizzly after 7-8 months of rain/mist in Portland. Me? I did just fine ,a fireplace,view,local wine,ahhhhh.So,though the $price$ of homes in that area(Ashland-Bend) is getting silly,the surrounding areas are still lovely and a bit more affordable.Good luck to you

boston
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Wow! I'm too late?

Hi, Kips Mom,

I hope we end up in the same town. Seems like we'd have a lot in common. I was raised in Waukegan (left quickly), so we'd even have those notes to compare.

SillyBilly,

Is Bend anything like Yakima, Washington. I've spent time in Yakima, and I get the impression that Bend might be similar?

Bend, OR
Level Contributor
899 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wow! I'm too late?

Not sure, what is Yakima like?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wow! I'm too late?

Similar somewhat in climate callaloo, and maybe in size. But Bend is much more hip than Yakima. Last time I was there (admittedly several years ago), Yakima still felt like an agricultural town. None of that feel in Bend.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,238 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wow! I'm too late?

I have had the unfortunately experience of living in Yakima, so I will comment, lol! Put it this way, we LOVE Bend, but I refuse to go back to Yakima. The climate is similar like mistletoe said, but thats about it.

Bend, OR
Level Contributor
899 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wow! I'm too late?

OK so with that knowledge in hand : ) Bend is nestled on the east side of the cascde mtn range at about 3500ft elevation. We average about 13in of rain a year, but can see a decent amt of snow in any given winter. Our town was noted as the 6th fastest growing metropolitan city in the nation in a recent study, and home prices are going nuts, but if you like the high desert and don't mind livin out of town a bit, you could still grab a nice home on a couple of acres for under $400k. Near town, homes are closer to the 7800 sq ft lot size and a 1400 sq ft home is about 250k.

boston
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Wow! I'm too late?

Thanks, Mountain Girl. That's how I felt about Yakima, too. Glad that Bend is different.

I'm going to have to figure out an itinerary for a 2-week visit that will let us visit all the promising towns. It won't be until next year, though, so I have time.

Thank you, everybody, for all the helpful info.