We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any must-see attractions on the Oregon coast we should know?

Gibsons, BC
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Any must-see attractions on the Oregon coast we should know?

Hi, I am planning a 4-5 day trip along the Oregon coast from Vancouver BC in August.

Any suggestions for must-see attractions? Places to stay?

We love sight-seeing, hiking, beaches, B&B's etc, etc.

Thanks very much!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any must-see attractions on the Oregon coast we should know?

When there are so many, it's difficult to narrow "must-sees" to just a few. So, help us out with a little more information. Do you prefer to be on the move from town to town every day, or just stay put? And how much time do you want to spend in the car? Regardless, you could fill your days with the kinds of activities you like. Most lodgings in the north coast towns - Cannon Beach, Manzanita, Seaside - have minimum stay requirements, so you'll need to consider that. And you should be making reservations as soon as possible; August is probably the most popular month for Oregon's beaches.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,428 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any must-see attractions on the Oregon coast we should know?

Agree with mistletoe - just about every mile on the Oregon coast has what you mention! Are you planning on driving on south to CA, or staying in one or two places? As far as lodging, can you give an idea of your budget?

Level Contributor
38,847 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any must-see attractions on the Oregon coast we should know?

The north coast has Astoria, it is located on the Columbia River with lots to do/see. The Maritime Museum Fort Clatsop, Flavel House, riverfront trolley are a few fun things to do. www.oldoregon.com is a nice website with lots of good info for this area. There are several nice B&B's in this area: Britta's Inn, Rose River Inn, Clementine's and Rosebriar Hotel area few places. If you want a hotel, the Cannery Pier Hotel, Hotel Elliott and the Holiday Inn Express are all full-service hotels with nice amenities.

I would also not miss spending some time in Seaside and Cannon Beach, Oswald West State Park has Short Sands Beach. The quaint town of Nehalem if fun, there are antique shops there and a great restaurant, the Nehalem River Inn where we have enjoyed a few great meals.

Tillamook is also a cool place with the Cheese Factory, Air Museum and Latimar Quilt Museum. Cape Lookout State Park is a beautiful area for a picnic. Newport has the Oregon Coast Aquarium which is informative and educational.

We also enjoyed the area around Gleneden Beach and Lincoln City, there is the Blackfish Cafe for a good seafood meal, the Tanger Outlets and Gleneden Beach has the Salishan Lodge which has a gorgeous spa. This entire area has beautiful scenery.

You may want to pick up a copy of Oregon Coast Magazine for your travels, there are maps, updates on events in the area, etc.

Have a wonderful trip and enjoy your time on the coast! :)

Gibsons, BC
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any must-see attractions on the Oregon coast we should know?

Wow!! Thank you all for your suggestions, they all sound fabulous.

We are very flexible on how long we spend int the car and if there is more things to do in any one town we will stick around. I hear there is beautiful Redwood forests in Oregon, anyone know where? I will check out the above website,etc.

Our hotel stays are not concrete and although we are 5 star girls, we sure love the closeness of a B&B and might bring a tent in case we are in a pinch. We are willing to go with the flow. If you are all thinking we should get booking then we will get to it.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any must-see attractions on the Oregon coast we should know?

Redwoods are in northern California, so if you want to see them in a 4-5 day trip from Vancouver, you'll be spending a lot of time in the car. A LOT. I'd suggest saving them for a trip when you have more time.

Unfortunately, the Oregon coast has become popular enough that you no longer have the luxury of flexibility, especially if you hope to find nicer accommodations. Might even have trouble finding a place to pitch a tent. Never-the-less, try the SurfSand Resort or Ocean Lodge in Cannon Beach or Inn of the Four Winds in Seaside. I think you'd prefer Cannon Beach though.

Or, for a B&B, consider this place in Arch Cape, five miles south of Cannon Beach: http://www.archcapehouse.com/. Nice place, but maybe a little too quiet for your tastes.

There's plenty to do and see on the north coast, whether you've got four days or a week. I'd suggest two different lodgings at most.

That said, if you can get a room at Overleaf Lodge in Yachats, book it, and save the north coast for another trip. http://www.overleaflodge.com/

vancouver...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Any must-see attractions on the Oregon coast we should know?

cathyk the oregon coast aquarium is awesom!! lots to see it is in newport about 30 miles from lincoln city which is full of fun things to see and do also if you want to know any other specifics just e- mail me at fisherb64@yahoo.com cause ive lived here all my life know lots thanks brenda

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,428 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any must-see attractions on the Oregon coast we should know?

Hello dolphins-45. Since the date of this thread was May of 2008, and the OP planned to travel in August of 2008, I daresay they are back home again.

We all share information and give a variety of suggestions on TA forums - that's the purpose of them.

8. Re: Any must-see attractions on the Oregon coast we should know?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, October 20, 2009