We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Gold Fever"

oregon
Level Contributor
881 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
"Gold Fever"

Greetings, All...

The new query for this week is about places to go to look for gold or other mineral treasures. The DH received a metal detector for the holidays ( thanks, mom and dad) and now wants to try it out.

Looking for a reputable company that will teach us how to use the detector and/or panning equipment as well as offering a site for practice. We'd like to make a weekend adventure of it (maybe a 3-day weekend), and don't have a preference for where in the state to try.

Does anyone know of a company that offers this type of adventure?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Gold Fever"

Let's see now, I think I'd start in GOLD Beach, lol! (Seriously, that is how the town got it's name.)

I entered the following in Google "gold panning oregon" and got a bunch of what looked like quite useful sites. I don't have any info on them, but hopefully somebody else here will know of a company.

As a general thought, I suspect you should focus on the SW part of the state, where they still have a fair bit of mining going on. I think there is some panning going on around the Quartzville area, out of Sweethome.

oregon
Level Contributor
881 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Gold Fever"

Thanks, Half-Brit.

I had "googled" something about gold hunting in Oregon, but most of the sites seemed to deal more with places to go ( which is great, once you know what you're doing...:) , or selling equipment, as opposed to companies that offer lessons, etc. I did find one, and I'll check them out, but I was hoping that something might be available a little sooner; I think that their trips started in May.

And, I would like to hear some first-hand feedback if I can get it- which I usually can from TA- because anybody looks good if they have a good marketing department. With all the outdoors-oriented folks in this state, I'm guessing that somebody will be able to steer me in a good direction.

Appreciate all your good advice along the way, by the way....

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Gold Fever"

There isn't a whole lot of public areas to prospect. The only one that comes to mind right this instant is the park up th Sixes river in Southwestern Oregon. And it's one of the few areas your detector might be of much good. So many areas are more sluicing and panning areas. Most of the good areas are either claimed up or are now Wild & Scenic areas closed to prospecting. Most of your gold prospecting areas are in the Southwestern part of the state. As for other minerals Oregon is a treasure trove. Thunder Eggs, many types of agate and Jaspers, Sunstones, petrified wood, limb cast and many more. Allot of those are found in various parts of Oregon's desert. Many of the beach's you can find agates. You can find public and pay type areas to go.

Another thing also is the Gold prospectors association of America. ( www.goldprospectors.org ) I haven't been a member for a while but they had serveal claims in Oregon and with membership you can use them. I see they have a special on membership in Feb and March. Some areas also have local GPAA clubs.

As for detector training I would go to detector manufacturers websites and look for a dealer near you and check with them. And make sure it's a shop That deals with prospecting though and not just a hardware store or something that happens to sell detectors.

A WORD OF WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!! Gold prospecting and rockhounding are very addictive. In no time you can acquire more equipment that you could never pay for with the stuff you find. (Speaking from experience) But the people who get in it for profit never have any fun. Mostly because they never find the profit.

oregon
Level Contributor
881 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Gold Fever"

Hi Dreamin'-

Thanks for your post. Especially the warning LOL!!!

This goldmining association sounds interesting; I will look into that.

Do you happen to know if there are any "outfitters" that may offer trips for panning and using detectors? I think that he is mostly interested in going to a place where they will show you how to pan and use the detector,with anticipation of making solo trips at a later time.

I know there are places in California that offer what he wants, but I haven't seen but one place in Oregon. They don't start their trips until May, and I was hoping we might go earlier than that.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Gold Fever"

Ack. I now know more about gold panning than I ever wanted to, lol!

The only places I found in Oregon was the one in Sumpter (with the annoying music) that doesn't open until the end of May, and the Oregon Gold Trips which don't start until early May.

However, I did find this retail store in Portland. Not sure if you are aware of it? I figure that any store that sells this much stuff about mining and metal detectors will surely have tons of info about where one can go to learn, so I'd contact them and ask!

www.dk-nugget.com/gold_pans.htm

Good luck and happy hunting :-)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,933 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Gold Fever"

half-Brit...where did the photo of the Elk come from? Did you take it? in Oregon? It is a great photo!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Gold Fever"

Thanks, Scarlett :-)

You know how we always suggest the Dean Creek elk viewing area inland from Reedsport? I took it there last summer.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Gold Fever"

footloose57, not sure where in OR you are but the GPAA ha local chapters i North Bend, Roseburg, and Portland. The contact info is on the website under chapters. Even if you aren't close one of the contact people may be able to help. I use to be in the North Bend Chapter and they would have outings which were great learning experiences.

oregon
Level Contributor
881 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Gold Fever"

Thanks, Everyone!

I had missed the store in Portland- I will check that out as a possible resource.

Dreamin'- we are closest to Portland and I will suggest contacting a chapter "contact" to the DH. Afterall, it's his detector...:).

We may try our old track to Bend when it comes time to gather children for the end of the term and take a day in the Sweet Home area to check that out. I understand that is also a good area for agates.

If we find what he wants, I will write a review for future reference....

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Gold Fever"

Sweet Home is where they get the Holly Blue Agate. Beautiful stones.