We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone know Eugene....advice pleae!

League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone know Eugene....advice pleae!

OK, I know this sounds very shallow, but I am needing to find out what the most prestigious (expensive) hotel in Eugene is. My husband is wanting to impress his Dad, who lives in Eugene. He is 48 and has not seen him since he was 16 yrs. old. I do not begin to understand this, and I probably never will. This is completely out of character for him. We are normally very budget conscious. I will not even try to expand more on this since I don't understand it myself but I would appreciate any response from those in the know. I have been looking for a beach house to stay in, on the coast and budget has certainly been very important. Some things are just better left alone. Just so it doesn't sound so bad, I have made every vacation decision for the past 10 years and we made the wonderful trip to Rome this past August, I was never questioned! I know that we will stay in whatever house I pick, but we are looking for somewhere for him to stay in Eugene when he visits his Dad. For whatever reason, I guess success and status are important, while they normally are not. Help is most graciously appreciated, without judgement.

Mentioned in this post
Eugene
Eugene
Oregon
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone know Eugene....advice pleae!

Probably the two most prestigious hotels in Eugene are the downtown Hilton and the Valley River Inn. Both are considered 4*, which is about as good as you will find in Oregon outside of Portland.

I prefer the Valley River Inn myself. It's location along the Willamette River, verses being in downtown, is what attacts me.

Mentioned in this post
Eugene
Eugene
Oregon
Valley River Inn
Valley River Inn
805 Reviews
Eugene, OR
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Willamette River
Willamette River
83 Reviews
Eugene, OR
League City, Texas
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone know Eugene....advice pleae!

Thank you again, dengay! I found the most perfect house to stay in but it is in Agate beach, a little far north of what I have been looking at. I know I will find the perfect place, just NOT in Eugene! I will not be part of this trip. That is fine with me, I am looking for a place that is wonderful, yet convenient for him, with his agenda.....! Something we BOTH can enjoy, after such a road trip! Please don't get me wrong, my husband is one of the most wonderful people I have ever met, I just don't begin to understand this one. Thanks for your input!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Agate Beach Motel
Agate Beach Motel
445 Reviews
Newport, OR
Eugene
Eugene
Oregon
Level Contributor
37,806 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone know Eugene....advice pleae!

We stayed at the Casa Laguna Inn this past week and were given a very nice book with many great Inns listed all over the country, in Eugene was Campbell House which looks very nice, it is a Bed and Breakfast. Try to visit the King Estate Winery while you are in the area, a very nice place to wine taste with a great restaurant.

Good luck and have a nice visit! :)

Mentioned in this post
Eugene
Eugene
Oregon
King Estate Winery
King Estate Winery
344 Reviews
Eugene, OR
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,819 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone know Eugene....advice pleae!

Lol, suzybro, there are times none of understand husbands!

Agree with Den, Valley River Inn. I think it is nicer than the Hilton, because the Hilton is just that and they are all the same. Valley River Inn has beautiful rooms overlooking the Willamette River, and is next door to a nice mall, the Valley River Center. Here is their web site:

www.valleyriverinn.com

Mentioned in this post
Valley River Inn
Valley River Inn
805 Reviews
Eugene, OR
Willamette River
Willamette River
83 Reviews
Eugene, OR
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone know Eugene....advice pleae!

Syrah--We have that same book. The inns that participate give that to all their guests. Maybe on your next trip to OR you can use the book and see some variety of our state.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone know Eugene....advice pleae!

suzy--No judgements here. Family dynamics are all so unique and I think we all do what we need. I wish I could help, but I have not spent much time in Eugene. That said, Den and half-brit know the town, so I would definitely listen to their suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Eugene
Eugene
Oregon
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone know Eugene....advice pleae!

<< I do not begin to understand this...>>

Just go with it, suzy. Some of us guys spend our whole lives trying to impress and looking for approval from our fathers. I suspect that's partly why your husband hasn't seen his dad in 32 years. Hope the reunion is what he wants it to be.

LOL, Mtngrl... I think we've got 3-4 copies of that book too. We stopped accepting them when we ran out of friends who wanted a copy.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,267 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone know Eugene....advice pleae!

Hey! I've been married 46 years and am still trying to figure out my wife. Why do women think they're the normal ones?

Valley River Inn is the place to pick in Eugene...especially if you specify rooms facing the river. The Inn has a classy looking restaurant with window tables looking out on the river. And McMennamin's North Bank brew pub style restaurant is within walking distance, also on the river.

And, since it's right on the riverside bike trail, the men can talk and walk and bond for miles if the weather permits. Since your husband's dad lives in Eugene, I'm sure he'll agree with your hotel selection and have other ideas about how they might spend their time together.

Mentioned in this post
Valley River Inn
Valley River Inn
805 Reviews
Eugene, OR
Eugene
Eugene
Oregon
Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,376 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone know Eugene....advice pleae!

syrahgirl, those books are given out in many hotels.

I don't know, prestigious expensive hotel and B&B just aren't the same thing to me....

I think I agree with Den :)

Judge??? a wife not understanding her husband??? ha!

Would never judge but I would have a drink with you though lol....

I think when we get to be truly "Grown ups"..there is this need that arises in some of us to show our parents .. something. I hope this trip works out perfectly for you and your husband..Families can be so weird, can't they?

Best of luck and have a great trip...

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,012 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone know Eugene....advice pleae!

"Lol, suzybro, there are times none of understand husbands!" Oh my, what have we here? LOL

As noted above, dads and sons, moms and daughters, and the converse, etc., life is complicated, perhaps this is the time they will work it out. It'd be good to settle some things before it's too late. Good luck to you all.