We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days N to S

Sarasota, FL
1 post
Save Topic
7 days N to S

My wife and I will be driving with our 2yo daughter from Seattle to San Francisco over 2 weeks APR/MAY '08 with about 7 days in Oregon. We are planning to spend a day or 2 around Portland, then Willamette Wine Country, then head down the coast. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. For example, would it be worth cutting out a large section of coast to see Crater Lake? Seems way too far for a day trip and not sure of Oregon weather in early May.

Thanks.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days N to S

Might not be able to get to the lake in May, due to snow build up.

I would take HWY 26 to the coast, and skip Astoria, Cannon Beach area is so beautiful, that you might not miss much, and with only 7 days.

Then 2 days around Portland

3rd around McMinnville/Dundee wine area (check out Gahr Farm) wonderful with a 2 yo and very affordable, I stayed there with my son and family many times.

4th take 26 to Cannon Beach

5th Newport (don't miss the aquarium)

6th South coast

7th Crater Lake if open, or another coastal day.

My Crater lake Trip with my son-

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i4596-My_Crater…

Day 8 Head home?

Is this like what you are talking about?

Whereever you go a 2 year old can be made to have fun, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If they were 5 I would want to make sure to have more kid activites.

Here is my Cannon Beach go lists, that might help.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i3469-Cannon_Be…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i2374-Cannon_Be…

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days N to S

Florida?? with 7 days in Oregon I would reach beyond the coast. I can easily spend 7 days at coast, but I live here and have visited most of rest of State.

Suggest you add

Mt St Helens, on way south from Seattle

Columbia R Gorge, Portland to The Dalles

Suggest you start at Astoria and work south, fairly easy to get from Portland to Astoria. 2 hours or less

April may be a bit early for Crater Lake. you can get there, but north entrance probably will not be open, but south will. You can head inland at Reedsport for Roseburg then come back to coast at Crescent City for Redwoods, then south to SF.

From your post sounds like Crater Lake is not a high priority for you and if not I would not go. Some people who come here feel they must see Crater Lake, worth it in Apr/May for them.

I think Crater Lake a must see. but I would not work hard to convince someone to go in Apr/May unless they had urge to do so.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,889 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days N to S

Hmmm, April or May for Crater Lake? I think you have to weigh the drive over there with what will be open to see, which is probably not much. I was there in June once, and it was not too interesting, as there was snow piled everywhere.

There are many, many wineries in the Willamette Valley... any particular area that you are thinking about?

Keep in mind that at that time of year you will have rain, with more along the coast than inland. Temps will be mild, though, except in the mountain areas.

What kinds of activites and scenery do you enjoy? Mt. St Helens has a great visitors center at Johnston Ridge, also the Gorge is very dramatic.

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days N to S

Suggest you skip Crater Lake and add Mt St Helens or the 'loop' day trip from Portland down the gorge and then up to Mt Hood and back to Portland if you're looking for mountain experiences.

5. Re: 7 days N to S

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:21 am, September 09, 2009