We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

newberry Volcanic NM or Lava Bed NM

hudson valley,ny
Level Contributor
279 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
newberry Volcanic NM or Lava Bed NM

What would be your choice and why??

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: newberry Volcanic NM or Lava Bed NM

They are both pretty cool for different reasons.

If you are into caves-Lava Beds is the place to go. Many caves to explore, there's no guided tours-you just go-some caves are simple tubes are some are more elaborate. There some history and wildlife areas here as well.

Newberry NM is kind of an exploded volcano(similar to crater lake that didn't fill up completely with water). There's alot of interesting geology within a short distance-lava flows, lava buttes, obsidian flows, old forests covered by lava, lakes, waterfalls, etc. The visitor center is pretty good. The central Oregonis so interesting geologically-so different from western Oregon.

I'd probably go to Newberry NM since much more to do here, unless caving is your objective.

Newberry Monument Site

fs.fed.us/r6/…general.shtml

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: newberry Volcanic NM or Lava Bed NM

Not sure I want to respond to all your separate posts, but will this one though I already said it on basic Oregon boards Newberry

hudson valley,ny
Level Contributor
279 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: newberry Volcanic NM or Lava Bed NM

Sorry Phril for all the questions!!!!! But if I don't ask, I don't know!!! I thought thats why these forums are here!!! and no, I do not read through every topic to find answers to my questions, I just ask... Again sorry if I'm asking too many questions.... Should I stop???

Doe.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: newberry Volcanic NM or Lava Bed NM

Hi again doecraig... My response to your question, "Should I stop?" is no, don't stop. Phirl is expressing a view I share, and explain following.

It's easier for us to reply to a set of questions on one posting as your draft itinerary is amended. Also, include whether kids along and their ages. Then we don't have to review prior postings.

In other words, state what you know and want to know and, as you refine your itinerary, you can cut and paste, but include your changes, delete the old. This allows us, and you, to see the evolving itinerary so all considerations, are in one place.

If you review other postings, you'll see how they showed their changed trip plans and inquired further about those changes.

Certainly add questions, such as those about Newberry, Lava Beds, etc., but do so within that evolving itinerary. Then we know more about your time requirements, where you are coming from and going to, and other considerations. Easier to help this way. I hope to heck this is clear :)

You have a great trip in store...

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: newberry Volcanic NM or Lava Bed NM

As a case in point, I just reviewed some of your postings. You did, in fact, lay out a schedule for our consideration. But I had to find that posting. So I'd amend it, include your questions within that schedule as best you can. Good luck LOL

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
748 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: newberry Volcanic NM or Lava Bed NM

We have done both of these- they are sort of close together- you can do both but if I had to choose I would do the Lava Lands. Similar and they have the caves right up the road- also close by for kids and adults a like is the High Desert Museum.

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
748 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: newberry Volcanic NM or Lava Bed NM

Oh- one more tip- if you drive to the top of Lava Lands- take nuts or sunflower seeds for the chipmonks- they will come and take them from you- the kids love it!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: newberry Volcanic NM or Lava Bed NM

Voyaging said it pretty well.

I pretty well follow a thread of someone asking good questions which you have been doing. I keep going back to see if there is something new I might add.

I just don't like to follow several different threads from same poster. If you keep getting responses go ahead and ask. Don't stop cause of what I said.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: newberry Volcanic NM or Lava Bed NM

Pardon if you already know this but at the top of the forum page there is a search bar, i.e. search in oregon forum. You can type in a specific location or venue and see what posters have had to say in the past. I find this tool very helpful when moving around different forums.

10. Re: newberry Volcanic NM or Lava Bed NM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 07, 2009