We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

b/t san francisco & lincoln city, one nite on the coast?

san francisco
2 posts
Save Topic
b/t san francisco & lincoln city, one nite on the coast?

Hi, my boyfiend, his 9 yr old boy and I are travelling for a week stay in lincoln city from San Francisco. We are going to drive the coast route and want to spilt the travel into 2 days. what town should we stay in overnite? bueatiful, fun, great food, that sort of place. the halfway point is right around the california/ oregon border. we could stay in n. california too. we want a nice interesting place but not too pricey.

any suggestions?

thanks

rc

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,010 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: b/t san francisco & lincoln city, one nite on the coast?

I'd opt for Newport over Lincoln City, if you have a choice. Especially with the boy, but for you adults, also.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Lincoln City
Lincoln City
Oregon Coast, OR
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: b/t san francisco & lincoln city, one nite on the coast?

I'd suggest the Lost Whale Inn in Trinidad CA. Have dinner at the Larrupin' Cafe.

Mentioned in this post
The Lost Whale Inn
The Lost Whale Inn
314 Reviews
Trinidad, CA
Trinidad
Trinidad
Humboldt County, CA
san francisco
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: b/t san francisco & lincoln city, one nite on the coast?

The Lincoln part of our trip is planned by others. and to respond to the trinidad bay bed and breakfast, way too pricey for us. darn.

any other suggersts for that travel nite?

thanks

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: b/t san francisco & lincoln city, one nite on the coast?

Beautiful, fun, great food, inexpensive lodging... tough one.

The halfway point would actually be between Eureka and Crescent City (Trinidad wouldn't be far off), but I argue that the scenic value of the trip really starts in the Redwoods, so personally, I'd push hard until you get to the Redwoods, then continue up to at least Brookings. Brookings is pretty much commercial, but has some less expensive accomodations, and Harris Beach State Park is a great place. Gold Beach is somewhat similar, though I have not stayed there a night. Not sure the beaches are as accessible... my memory is that most of the hotels are considerably uphill from the beach. Port Orford is north of Gold Beach and is kind of a nice little cove with a town attached, much smaller, yet a place I'd be really intrigued with... but I know nothing of accomodations or restaurants.

Mentioned in this post
Eureka
Eureka
Humboldt County, CA
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
Trinidad
Trinidad
Humboldt County, CA
Brookings
Brookings
Oregon Coast, OR
Harris Beach State Park
Harris Beach State Park
514 Reviews
Brookings, OR
Gold Beach
Gold Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Port Orford
Port Orford
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,787 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: b/t san francisco & lincoln city, one nite on the coast?

Actually, all of the Oregon coast is beautiful!!

We drive that area fairly often, but do not really pay too much attention to motels or RV parks that we are not staying in. So I would suggest that you google the town names with the word lodging. That should get you most or all of the places in that town. Keep in mind that "not too pricey" means not oceanfront, usually. :-(

Let's see, Crescent City has several motels along the highway, and two which may be reasonable on the ocean side, with views. One is called Sunset Inn, I think. The other is an older motel right on the beach south of town. Crescent something?

There is a small town called Smith River just south of the Oregon border. I know there is a motel there, sorry can't remember the name, that is on the water. When I enquired about staying there a year or two ago, it was very reasonable .... in the neighborhood of $70/night. I have looked at it from the outside, it looks clean & tidy.

Brookings is busy, busy! The only beachfront motel I know of is the Best Western Beachfront Inn, which will start at about $160/night.

Gold Beach has a LOT of motels on the water. They are all in a line along 101, and are about 100-200 yards from the water, down a very slight hill. There is quite a difference in price. Unfortunately, a number of them have similar names, so I'm not much help there. Again, google Gold Beach lodging. There is also a Motel 6 on the river, it is very old (1960's), but may have been renovated. There is also Jot's Resort on the river, near the ocean. That used to be reasonable, but we haven't stayed there for maybe 10 years.

Gold Beach is probably as far north as you want to go for your night.

Any chance you can throw in sleeping bags & tent? There are a number of state parks which are beautiful and cheap -- about $20 a night or thereabouts.

Oh, there is also a hostel on the coast, between Eureka and Crescent City I think.

Mentioned in this post
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Brookings
Brookings
Oregon Coast, OR
Gold Beach
Gold Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Eureka
Eureka
Humboldt County, CA
6. Re: b/t san francisco & lincoln city, one nite on the coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:21 am, September 06, 2009