We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute Trip- Oregon Coast- Northern California Coast

Park City
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Last Minute Trip- Oregon Coast- Northern California Coast

I have read a lot of these posts and I am a bit confused. I am flying into San Franscisco on Monday the 23rd and flying out of Portland. Wish I could do it the other way around, but skymiles would'nt allow it. I booked the airfare today so it is last minute. I am trying to plan a birthday getaway for my husband. We are in our late twenties early thirties. We have never been to the Oregon Coast. I need help with my itinerary. Here's what I have so far:

Day 1- San Francisco- see some of the sights

Day 2- Redwoods- Lodging in Eureka- Husband is very interested in the Redwoods. How long should we stay?

Day 3- Redwoods- Lodging in Crescent City????

Day 4- Lodging in Gold Beach- I booked the 104 mile jet boat ride with Jerry's.

Day 5- This is where I am stumped. I would like to see the Sea Lion caves, Heceta lighthouse, Yachats, Newport and drive the 3 Capes scenic route, and stop into Tillamook cheese factory.

Where would be the best place to stay to see these places?

Day 6 - Same as above

Day 7,8 & 9- Cannon Beach- Escoloa State Park- Oswald West State Park. Any other suggestions?

I really hate to rush this trip, but this is as long as we can get away for. We want to be able to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Mentioned in this post
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,016 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Last Minute Trip- Oregon Coast- Northern California Coast

Re: Sea Lions... immediately north of Sea Lion Caves is a pullout/viewpoint. Go to the NW edge, look down, see sea lions for free and w/o the smell of the caves. Very scenic area as well.

hanford
3 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Last Minute Trip- Oregon Coast- Northern California Coast

I've done this trip twice in the last five years. I should say from central california to Victoria B..C. the first time and the second trip to Seattle. Both times we were on the road for ten days. There is so much to see along the way. One of our favorite places was staying in Astoria , Ore. Beautiful stay and I would have been happy staying there for two or three days. The other place that comes to mind quickly is in Gold Beach. I read that you are going to stay there too. Good choice! The Mail Boats up the Rogue river are alot of fun. We went with the other company that operates there but I would guess both are fun.

I liked the Sea Lions Cave and the Aquarium just the same. I think you can do the Caves in the morning and still see the aquarium in the evening. One thing about Newport was that the first and second trips we stayed there. However avoid the La Quinta Inn. It is horrible in Newport.

There are so many places to stop and take some breath taking pictures along the Oregon Coast. It is fabulous.

Enjoy-

Joel

I think if I go this route again I would stay in astoria again for sure and the boat trips again and then go across to portland and hangout there for a day or two.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
13. Re: Last Minute Trip- Oregon Coast- Northern California Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, September 05, 2009