We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grants Pass - Newport

Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Grants Pass - Newport

We will be in Oregon for the first time in september (coming over from germany) and have fixed reservations in Grants Pass, Newport and Seaside before going up to Canada. Before coming to GP we'll stay in SF and go directly to GP via I-5. Now my question is, which one is the best route to take from GP to NP? Going down via 199 and then up to NP would be too long I think. Have thought about going directly from GP to Gold Beach over the mountains. Any thoughts on that route? Will we miss a lot if taking 42 to Coos Bay or 38 to Reedsport?

Thanks, Bigthomase

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Grants Pass - Newport

I've taken most of the routes to the coast over the years but just did Rt. 38 this past spring--and that's my favorite so far. It's a nice scenic country road but it has enough passing lanes not to be too frustrating if you get behind a slow truck or RV ;-). And you come out at the elk refuge near Reedsport which is very cool. And you'll be far south enough on 101 to see the dunes and the Cape Perpetua area just south of Yachats. And yes, taking 199 would add a lot of time--but if you're interested in seeing redwoods, then it may be worth the extra time to you.

I have not driven the road over the mountains between Grant's Pass and Gold Beach however so I can't comment on that.

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grants Pass - Newport

I would go on Hwy 38- one of the best drives to the coast. You arent missing anything(in my opinion) by cutting over at 38- since Highway 101 doesn't hug the coast between 42-38.

I would be hesitant recommend to drive from GP to Gold Beach via the forest service roads. I must preface that I have not done this route, but it seems that if drivers aren't familiar with the road(or good with maps, etc) it is easy to get lost among the logging roads. - We've had a number of high profile cases of people getting lost in this area during the fall/winter and not surviving. Although you should be fine as far as weather in Sept. if you do try to go this way.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grants Pass - Newport

Another vote for hwy 38. I just drove it today and it really is some of the most beautiful countryside in all of Oregon. Since you're coming from the south, take hwy 138 west at Sutherlin. It's 24 miles from there to Elkton and hwy 38.

Oregon
Level Contributor
294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Grants Pass - Newport

As others are saying, take Hwy 38 to Reedsport. It's a very pretty drive and you'll still get to see some very nice coastline on your trip to Newport.

As far as the drive from Grants Pass to Gold Beach, I live near it & have taken it many times. It's known as Bear Camp Road. It's very rugged, has one lane in many spots, sections of gravel, and it takes roughly the same travel time reach Gold Beach as does the other route - Hwy 199 via Brookings. During the summer and fall, it's very pretty but it also has a lot of rafting shuttle traffic. Once the snows hit for the season, stay away. Seriously, people have died here.

Take Hwy 38 & enjoy.

Rich

Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grants Pass - Newport

Thanks for your answers.

I think I will take Hwy 38, sounds very nice and I have never seen an elk before! :-)) After getting to the coast at Reedsport I still have 200 miles of coastline up to Astoria.

Bigthomase

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grants Pass - Newport

Like Rich I have been on Bear Camp Road several times. Not a place for newcomer to Oregon. Don't need to repeat what he said just agree. don't got that way Hwy 138 from sutherlin and then 38 best

Level Contributor
35,736 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grants Pass - Newport

Where are you staying in Astoria? Elk are really cool to view, we just saw one on the side of the road in Cannon Beach on our way back to Indian Beach. Let me know if you would like any info on Astoria, we have a house there and have been coming to the area for over twenty years. I hope you have a great trip! :)

Bonn, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Grants Pass - Newport

We'll not stay in Astoria. Just stay in Seaside (priceline) and then leave the coast in Astoria to go to Vanoucer, BC. Hope this is manageble in one day. Have often been to California and Nevada, but never north of SF. So looking very forward to explore Oregon.

Bigthomase

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grants Pass - Newport

I drive by the Dean Creek Elk Viewing Pastures (east of Reedsport) once a week (on average) and have for the past 13 years and I have yet NOT to see elk!!! Make sure you pull off the side of the road though. Too often I see people trying to watch and take pictures without stopping!!!

BTW, there were 23 branch-bulls taking a siesta yesterday afternoon!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grants Pass - Newport

Yes, agree, do stop and look. They might be hard to see at first, camouflage color and all.

If you have the time, see Mt. St. Helens off of I-5; fascinating active volcano with very descriptive and enjoyable visitor centers all the way to the top (the best one). Often Elk in the valley below the lookout.