We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japanese Gardens Handicap Access

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Japanese Gardens Handicap Access

Well here goes, I'm sure someone will help me refine this information but we did visit the lovely Japanese Gardens this past Tuesday, May 22nd. How could I have possibly lived in Oregon for over 30 years and not have visited these wonderful scenic gardens. What a mix of lovely large Douglas Firs, cedars and ornamental trees, trails, beautiful sculpted buildings, the shrubbery, the wisteria were in bloom while we were there, so much.

The main parking area is at the bottom of a hill with a failry steep trail up to the gardens, THIS entrance is not handicapped accessiable. There is an access road for the handicapped to the top with limited parking available very near the garden entrance. In speaking to the admissions people about 60% of the gardens are accessible to the handicapped. IMO this 60% figure is at most. Frankly even in the accesiable areas there are slight to I feel moderate grade changes. If a wheelchair is involved the person pushing would want to have the physical strength to feel confident they will be able to safely guide their loved one through the gardens. IMO an easier access and tour for someone in a chair would be the Rose Gardens right next to and below the Japanese Gardens. The paths threre are mostly level except for the initial grade to access or leave the garden area. We did visit the Rose Gardens and the roses seemed ready to burst out in full flower.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Japanese Gardens Handicap Access

Thank you so much! This really helps. My mom will probably be able to walk it, but I will be sure that if she thinks she'd need to break it up with a wheelchair that I have my husband along!

2. Re: Japanese Gardens Handicap Access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, September 01, 2009