We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning trip

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Planning trip

Husband and I are in the early stages of planning a trip to Oregon with our 10 yo grandson in early August. First trip there. Will be flying into Portland and staying 8 - 10 days traveling the state. Grandson wants to see Crater Lake and sealions and whales (if possible). We're also thinking of trying to include Redwood NP in CA. Can we expect warm weather? Could use some ideas of places grandson would enjoy seeing. Read there is the Newport Aquarium - worth seeing? Any help greatly appreciated.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning trip

Three active things he might enjoy. Kayak ride on Beaver Creeks of Newport, dune buggt ride s of Florence, jet boat ride on Rogue R at Gold Beach.

Aquarium at newport very nice, you can see sea lions on the docks in Newport.

If you plan Redwoods suggest you head to Central Coast and go south from there, Depoe Bay etc, all the way to Redwoods

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning trip

Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport is worth seeing. Whale tours-I know there are some out of Newport- Marine Discovery Tours. I did this awhile ago and it was fairly interesting seeing whales, sealions, birds, etc, but i've seen this stuff before-so it might be interesting for you. You can mostly see all the animals they would point out to you from shore, but not as close. I think there would be less whale watching tours the farther south you go on the OR coast.

phrils advice is right on- if you are planning on going to Redwoods as well, start at Central Oregon Coast(Newport area) and then head down to Redwoods on Hwy 101.

Don't know if your grandson is too old, but he might enjoy the West Coast Game Park and the 'Prehistoric Gardens' along the southern Oregon coast. .

Make sure you go to the Redwoods California State Parks, such as Prairie Creek, as well as the National Park. The state parks have the 'big' trees.

Weather will be 'warm' for Oregon!!!! Most likely 60-70s on the coast and 80-90's inland. Crater Lake will be cooler since it is up high -6,000ft- probably 60's and perhaps cooler at night.

Also if you have time and your grandson is interested and you can manage the hike down to Crater Lake from the rim- I highly recomend the boat ride in the lake. You can see how blue it is from above, but really get a sense of blueness being surrounded by it.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,238 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning trip

I agree with all the advice given so far. Normally Crater Lake isn't hot, like chinookgrrrl said, but last summer we were there in late July and it was really, really hot...about 100 degrees. That boat ride was very good, and especially welcome on that hot day. For the boat ride, be sure to take water with you, and sunglasses and a hat and/or sunscreen. Go early in the day to buy tickets as they sell out, and the ride is really good and you don't want to miss it.

Level Contributor
113 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning trip

I think OMSI will be great for a 10 years old boy. My family can only stay in Oregon for 2 days so I think we will have to skip it. However, I really think it's worth to see because we don't have anything close to this science museum in Texas (even the one in Houston is way far from it). The website is http://www.omsi.edu. It's located at Portland. They have a submarine tour, IMAX, and lots of interesting hands on exhibitions.

Level Contributor
36,689 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning trip

The Oregon Coast Aquarium is great fun, your grandson should enjoy it very much. I would also consider Seaside, there is a small aquarium there that has seals, we just spent 10 days in the area and had a great time, it's a gorgeous part of the Oregon Coast.

The Sea Lion Caves are also a fun place to view sea lions, it is in the Florence area. Any further questions about the coast, feel free to ask! :)

6. Re: Planning trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, August 29, 2009