We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we stick with our travel plans for next week?

Cincinnati, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Can we stick with our travel plans for next week?

We land in Portland week from Saturday (Sept 30), and planned a clockwise loop - Columbia River Gorge to Hood River, 35 to 26 to 97 south to Bend, Crater Lake, 138 to Roseburg, then return to Portland via the coast. We are concerned that fires and smoke will prevent us from heading east, and then again getting from Crater Lake to the Roseburg - can you please advise us on whether this is still a good loop? Thanks!

16 replies to this topic
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,751 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we stick with our travel plans for next week?

Probably not. Too many effects of fire, rain and snow at your destinations. Better off looking at other areas: coast, valleys northeastern Oregon.

Ohio
Level Contributor
285 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we stick with our travel plans for next week?

We just returned from a trip to Oregon. The coast is unaffected by the fires and is beautiful. We didn't go to Bend. We saw that Bend and Crater Lake were smoky when we were there. They did get rain though and next weeks weather forecast is sunny and 70s. We wanted to hike at Smith Rock State Park. I wrote a trip report. I wouldn't cancel as long as you're flexible with your plans.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,399 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we stick with our travel plans for next week?

Fires and snow or rain often cause floods in this beautiful area. Watch the news but I would skip the Gorge this trip

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we stick with our travel plans for next week?

Local news stations reported last night that I-84 eastbound and the historic Columbia River Highway are both still closed, with no date given as to when they might reopen. Didn't hear much about Hood River or the fires, but we had about two inches of rain the last couple days which hopefully gives remaining firefighters the upper hand. So you might consider heading east up the Gorge on Washington's SR 14 just to see what there is to see, then cross the Columbia to Hood River at White Salmon.

Alternatively, just take US 26 from Portland up Mt Hood, bypassing the Gorge and Hood River.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we stick with our travel plans for next week?

I should have added that when it was raining in Portland it was snowing at Crater Lake, which you'll see on their webcams. You also see that there doesn't appear to be any haze from smoke over the lake, so while there may be temporary rim road closures due to snow or ice, I'm thinking you can safely drive from there to Roseburg, worst case exiting the park from the south onto hwy 62 and working your way to I-5.

Edited: 11:47 am, September 21, 2017
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,399 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we stick with our travel plans for next week?

You can take the Ross Island Bridge across the river and continue (Powell Blvd is also 26) It continues up to Mount Hood and historic Timberline Lodge through Sandy. There is a neat restaurant and gift shop called the Tollgate Inn. Great food and old timey gifts.

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Can we stick with our travel plans for next week?

Just heard ODOT hopes to open I-84 east bound this weekend.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,399 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can we stick with our travel plans for next week?

Jes, (no offense) but would you suggest a trip to the Gorge? (even just opened- I would hesitate) I grieve so for what has happened to our beloved Gorge. What a tragedy.

I know that will be great for through traffic - and at one side open it might be slow moving at that.

Best

MrsO

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Can we stick with our travel plans for next week?

Well it would work to drive through it and then head to Bend and Crater Lake. But without stops it would be out of their way to their other destinations. Looks like that could be a good weekend for the east side. Coast could be decent too.

The recent rains have reduced the smoke on the east side. I'll be other there on the 29th.

I haven't had any updates from the forest service on central Oregon smoke so it seems to be getting better. My sister over there says it's much better.

http://centralorfireinfo.blogspot.com/

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can we stick with our travel plans for next week?

"...and at one side open it might be slow moving at that."

Not sure what you mean by this, as westbound I-84 has been open for some time now. And the waterfalls are still there, so Chris R could see them at least. Not to mention Hood River and/or The Dallas, where merchants are pleading for business.

Reply to: Can we stick with our travel plans for next week?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted