We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surprise trip for husband b'day, itinearary comment needed

houston
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Topic
Surprise trip for husband b'day, itinearary comment needed

Hello all local experts,

I'm planning a surprise trip for my husband 40 b'day. I've been reading and "borrowing" all the good suggestions in this board for a while. Here is my first draft. Appreciate all comments.

Day 1: Arrive SEA late evening.

Day 2: Seattle Attractions, another night in Seattle

Day 3: Mt. Rainier, then head toward Oregon, spend a night in Astoria

Day 4: Oregon Coast, a night in Yachats

Day 5: Crater Lake (spend a night at the lodge)

Day 6: Corvallis (My husband graduated from OSU, and love the town), spend a night here

Day 7: Willemette Wine Country (Any recommendations on where to stay?)

Day 8: Columbia River George Loop, spend a night in Portland

Day 9: Portland Metro, Heading back to SEA

As I said, I'm open to any suggestions.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,012 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surprise trip for husband b'day, itinearary comment needed

At first glance, sounds good. You might consider Mt. St. Helens instead of Mt. Rainier. When is this big trip?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surprise trip for husband b'day, itinearary comment needed

Agree with voyaging Mt St H better visit, more interesting. Rainier dominates the skyline from seattle area, so easy to enjoy beauty of it.

Make reserv early at Crater Lake Lodge.

Suggest you leave coast at Reedsport head to N Umpqua Hwy.

Take OR-58 from Crater Lake to Eugene.

You won't have a lot of time to dally, but you can do that trip

OSU?? I can't let that pass. I spent 5 years there, needed that much to get out. I md a townie

houston
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Surprise trip for husband b'day, itinearary comment needed

Wow, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

- This trip will be in Mid June.

- I will switch to Mt. St. Helen as suggested.

- Phirl, my husband spent almost 7 years for his master and phd.

He loves the area. I've never been there, but from what he told me, can't wait to see the campus and your beautiful state!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Surprise trip for husband b'day, itinearary comment needed

Looks like a great itinerary. But Phirl's right; book Crater Lake Lodge today. Chances are good you're too late already. If so, you could try Mazama Village. It's a poor second choice, but the only other accommodations in the park. Failing that, try the Propect Hotel, 25 miles SW of the lake, but there's not much else around. http://www.prospecthotel.com/

If you want to spend night 7 in wine country, Black Walnut Inn would be the place. http://www.blackwalnut-inn.com/ But you know, you'll only be one hour from Portland, so you could just as easily head into town after the wineries close (4:00pm - 5:00pm). Willamette Valley wine country is nothing like Napa and Sonoma valleys. Towns around here roll up the sidewalks around 7:00pm. :-)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surprise trip for husband b'day, itinearary comment needed

Mid-June at Crater Lake may have some limits like east rim road may not be open, but west rim road should be and that really is all you need to get good view of lake. East rim road not so good to make any date changes

I graduated from OSC, well it changed year i got out. so campus has changed a lot, but probably has for your husband, too I have been back many times so change gradual. still a very nice campus. I only got a BS

Reason I say inland at Reedsport. drive from Yachats south on coast one of best there is, and drive up N Umpqua Hwy along river also very nice.

Short drive from Corvallis to McMinnville/Dundee or wine country. You could see it and spend night in PDX, then do Gorge day trip. However Oregon Hotel in McMinnville looks interesting

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Surprise trip for husband b'day, itinearary comment needed

It's a good itinerary, but are you sure you're going to be ok with that much driving and that many one night stays in a row? Some people like that kind of trip--to me, it sounds exhausting. If it were me I'd consider saving Crater Lake for another trip and add another night in, say, Yachats (because it's about the middle of your trip and it's a nice place) so you have a day where you can just relax and don't have to get up and drive *again*. And I'd also strongly consider the suggestion that was previously made of staying in Portland for 2 nights rather than one night in the Willamette Valley and one night in Portland.

But obviously you know best what you and your husband will enjoy, I'm just throwing this thought out there ;-).

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surprise trip for husband b'day, itinearary comment needed

Lots of good suggestions already. Glad to see you swap out Rainier for St. Helens. Both are great...but St. Helens is amazing with the destruction,etc.

Another OSU grad here:) I too love the town and love going back. The Salbasgeon Suites is a nice hotel in town. We have stayed there several times for homecoming. There is a Hilton right next to the campus that is only a couple years old that is supposed to be nice. If you want a B&B, then try Harrison House. Woodstocks for pizza is an institution in town...great pizza, and a great pub next door.

Wine country...Black Walnut would be the nicer place, but the McMenamins Hotel Oregon is good too. They are just different. Black Walnut is nicer...Hotel Oregon is unique and lots of fun. HO is right in downtown McMinnville, which is a fun place to wander. Lots of tasting rooms in town too.

mistletoe--the carpets roll up at 7 in the wine area? LOL! Just teasing...I thought it was more like 5pm:)

As far as driving back to SEA is that for the airport? If you don't have tickets already you might consider doing open jaw so you don't have to drive back.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Surprise trip for husband b'day, itinearary comment needed

5:00pm in the winter, Mtngrl, but with daylight savings time and better weather, the Dundee police give themselves a couple more hours to write tickets. ;-)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surprise trip for husband b'day, itinearary comment needed

LOL, very true:)

The Dundee police must have been really bored late on Monday night. They followed my husband very closely for quite a while.

10. Re: Surprise trip for husband b'day, itinearary comment needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, August 18, 2009