We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help ...Phirl

Seattle
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help ...Phirl

My cousin and I are leaving Astoria on Thursday April 26 to overnight in the Geneden Beach/Newport area. We're visiting friends for a few hours in Gleneden beach and hope to end up in Newport. for one night/. I remember that you have Trendwest and my cousin is the one I went to for the Lake Chelan/Leavenworth question you had.

She has Trendwest and currently we are waitlisted for Depot Bay or Newport. Gleneden may be available - but would like to go further down the coast. I have confirmed space at the La Quinta in Newport. What do you think of the three Trendwests if we have a choice?

Foodwise - planned to eat dinner at Canyon Way in Newport - but a recent postings said that it had slipped. Is this so? Also considering the Side Door or Chowder Bowl in in Gleneden Beach/Depot Bay. Don't mind a short backtrack.

Not doing the Newport Aquarium this trip - I did it when Keiko was there and also three years ago. Going to do the Monterey Aquarium & Sea World in San Diego this time.

Still curious aboout your family tree - maybe we are related!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help ...Phirl

We are at Depoe Bay right now. but we are owners, not sure how easy it is to get in. with points. we have stayed at gleneden nice facility will stay again it is on beach. Depoe Bay is not, it is on rocky shore

Schooners landing is like chelan only a few units. Have never gotten in there.

We rarely eat out, but were not impressed with Chowder Bowl in Depoe Bay. Chowder Bowl in newport is good. Usaully when we go out Mos is first on liist, my wife has to have the clam chowder.

Much of my family came west in 1852, except my grandparents from Donegal. who cam 1890s

Level Contributor
35,249 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help ...Phirl

If you decide against the Chowder Bowl, you may want to consider a meal at the Salishan Lodge & Spa in Gleneden Beach. We had a very nice lunch there last summer, the property is beautiful, situated on a golf course. We also toured the spa which was the prettiest one I've seen on the Oregon Coast.

You will love the Monterey Bay Aquarium and SeaWorld. We were in SeaWorld the first week of this past Dec. and had a great time! Enjoy your travels! :)

Las Vegas...
Level Contributor
665 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help ...Phirl

Hi genealjean,

We own a second home in Gleneden Beach and were there just a couple weekends ago. Ok, small town stuff here, but it might help....while at the post office in Gleneden (which is right next door to the the Side Door) people were talking about the Side Door and its opeating schedule. As of two weekends ago they were operating on a hit and miss basis due to a family situation. So if you have your heart set on the Side Door you might want to call first to make sure they are open that day. Hate for you to make the back track from Depoe Bay or even Newport to find out they were closed.

Another favorite of ours is Tidal Raves in Depoe Bay.

Tahiti

Seattle
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help ...Phirl

Thanks all

We will probably wind up at the LaQuinta in Newport as I have a decent rate there. And at the Canyon Way. It looks like the Trendwest may not break. My cousin could get us into Seaside - but since we spend our first night in Astoria - that is too close.

Yes, Syrahgirl you and I are probably the only ones on the T.A. posts who like the Peter Iredale and the Tillamook Blimp hanger - we plan to go to both and also stop at the Tillamook and Blue Heron Cheese places. My cousin hasn't been to Ft Clatsop and I have a couple of favorite stores in Cannon Beach. We'll do a lunch stop just for chowder at Mo's at Tolvana.

Tahiti Girl -Sorry to hear aboout the problems at the Side Door. The menu looked good. FYI, I spent a week in Tahati, Moorea, and Bora Bora back in the 1970's - It was glorious and Bora Bora is one of my favorite spots on earth.

I knew I liked you Phirl. I am one quarter Irish on my mom's side - My great grandfather Michael Weir came from Co. Mayo in 1861 and then to Washington Territory in 1886. Part of this trip with my Weir cousins is to Sacramento where they arrived by train, the Sacramento Delta where they took river boat to San Francisco and finally took and auxillary steamer 9stream & sail) up the coast to Portland. They left from the Spear street Wharf at 10 am on May 28, 1886. We're going to the pier area and toast their journey. My great great grand parents - the McGraths came from Co. Roscommon to New York in 1839 then across country and finally their son came to Washington in 1903.

Family history is so fun and it makes travel so interesting when you can visit places your ancestors were at.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help ...Phirl

Tahiti, do you know if Tidal Raves has re-opened yet? When I was at the coast last month it was being remodeled... quite extensively. It will be fun to see what they have accomplished!

Last year we had lunch at the Chowder Bowl in Newport and it was quite good.

Have fun!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help ...Phirl

Tidal waves not open yet, sign says open in March, Drove by there yesterday

Las Vegas...
Level Contributor
665 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help ...Phirl

genealjean,

I agree with you about Tahiti and Bora Bora especially, it's my favorite spot on this great planet. This may sound corny to some but the second I got off the plane my soul felt at peace. And I get that same feeling everytime we go there.

As for the Side Door, the food is good. And it's a great locals place.

Tidal Raves has needed that remodel for a while, it's just a little too small. So I'm very excited about it. They always close for the month of January, so there wasn't anyone we could ask about the re-open date, so thanks phirl!

How fun to be combining a family history with a vacation. Half of my mother's family settled in the south and the other half in Upstate NY. A couple years we reversed the southerners trek west to Oregon. It was a fun and educational experience. Next on the agenda, the New Yorkers. One day we hope to do my Swedish side, but since I'm only a second generation American on that side it'll be a little more involved then just driving to Ellis Island!

Enjoy our awesome coast

Tahiti

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help ...Phirl

Half dozen years ago I drove from son's home in Omaha along the Oregon Trail. Interesting tip. got me off tyhe freeway, and thropugh the terrain where my family passed in 1852. 8 direct line ancestors made that trip, along with 50 other family members. One group came from Iowa, the before that NY. Other group from Missouri, before that TN and NC

8 years ago we went to Donegal, met 25 or more of my7 Doherty cousins, one 2nd cousin still on the home place. Also met from of my grandgathers family, though did not conclude they were related till later, just got a letter from family member now in Scotland, which pretty well provees we are related.

Have visited many other family sites in our travels, sure adds to the trip to drop into Tyringham MA and see where family was. Ashtabula OH, Hawkins Co TN, Winona Co MN. etc

Level Contributor
35,249 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help ...Phirl

Sounds like a great plan! We love Mo's, it's so casual and aside from their yummy clam chowder, they also make a really great Blackened Salmon that I love there that is always perfectly prepared. The marionberry cobbler is pretty great, also. Have fun! :)

Seattle
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help ...Phirl

Thanks Phirl and all

We just got into the Trendwest Gleneden Beach for Thur April 26 so think that will be ok. It is in a back building - non ocean view room - but we are seeing the ocean all the way down to San Diego and we can go out to the beach here. Only room available , especially for one night . Doubt that Newport or Depoe Bay will open up.

My cousin has her heart set on Canyon Way in Newport for dinner - so I guess I will bite the bullet and drive down for dinner and then back to Gleneden beach for the night. Its only 38 miles RT - so that isn't bad. She has friends to visit in Gleneden Beach for an hour or so - so this will work out.

Since we are at Trendwest and not La Quinta - no breakfast. What does anyone suggest for a nice breakfast stop between Gleneden Beach and Newport for Friday morning?