We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tent camping at Grand Lake, OK

orange county...
6 posts
Save Topic
Tent camping at Grand Lake, OK

What would be the best place for tent camping at Grand Lake? I have found several parks with tent camping on the Lake (Bernice State Park, Cherokee State Park, Honey Creek State Park, Little Blue - Disney State Park, Twin Bridges State Park) but don't know which would be best.

Some friends and I will be going for a few days in early August. We want to have easy access to swimming in the Lake, and a fire pit for cooking. We also want to do a bit of hiking and possibly rent a boat and/or some kayaks. We are all young adults aged 25-35. And we will also have a dog.

Any suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,089 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tent camping at Grand Lake, OK

Just want to make sure you know how hot and humid it is in August. Tent camping would be miserable, in my opinion. There are several amazing resorts with cabins right on the water. Amenities include boat rentals, some allow fire rings (unless we are under a burn ban), canoe and kayak rentals, restaurants near by, access to swimming in the lake, and pools. Many are very affordable.

If, however, you really want to tent camp, I would suggest Bernice State Park. It is right on the water, allows fire rings, boat rentals are just down the road and across the Horse Creek Bridge at a place called Indian Hills. They also have a great restaurant and store. Even though they are right on the water, though, they don't have a swim dock and entry isn't easy. No pool.

Twin Bridges is really far away and doesn't have much around it. I don't know of a boat rental nearby, but you might call. It is where Spring River and the Neosho River meet to form Grand Lake. Much of it is up on a bluff so you may have to drive in order to swim. No pool.

Honeycreek State Park is one of my favorite parks, but access to the lake is a little difficult and rocky in one section and non existent in many sections because you are up on a bluff. I don't know of nearby boat rentals there, but it is the closest of all you listed to town and services like Walmart and restaurants. No pool.

I'm not very familiar with the other parks you mentioned although Little Blue is pretty and heavily wooded making it a lot cooler. It's on the other end of the lake by the town of Langley. Stores and services nearby, but swimming is not, as I remember. Since it is by the dam I don't believe there would be boat rental nearby. No pool.

All of the parks I mentioned have hiking capabilities, but our ticks and chiggers are really bad so make sure you have spray with Deet if you go near any wooded areas.

2. Re: Tent camping at Grand Lake, OK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 14, 2014