We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kilpatrick Turnpike unfriendly to visitors

Moreno Valley...
Level Contributor
13 posts
413 reviews
Save Topic
Kilpatrick Turnpike unfriendly to visitors

In my opinion, TripAdvisor users should be warned about the challenges of using the new Kilpatrick Turnpike that bypasses OK City's northeast outskirts. For visitors, navigating the the Kilpatrick and paying its tolls is quite challenging.

This particular toll road shows on most maps as a logical bypass of metropolitan congestion but my experience on that road, as a first timer, was not satisfactory. For example, there are no rest areas. Tolls are registered electronically by a device locals have in their car or else you must toss coins (no cash or credit/debit cards accepted) at a scoop in an unstaffed toll booth. That clumsy process could be troublesome in inclement weather! I held up traffic while fishing for change. Exits also involved toll booths and risked a fine for non-payment of the toll. I found little recourse on the State's Turnpike website, and there were no guidelines or tips there for new users.

All in all, I felt that using the Kilpatrick put you in a captive audience at best and sort of a trap at worst. The State's Turnpikes should be more user-friendly toward out-of-staters. Bottom line: Go a bank and get some rolls of quarters and dimes prior to using any Oklahoma Toll Roads. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

113 replies to this topic
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Kilpatrick Turnpike unfriendly to visitors

The last time I was on the Florda Turnpike called the Bee-Line (is it now the beachline?) it was pass or cash and many of the toll plazas did not have attendants or accept cards. I remember 4 toll plazas with different fees. I have no idea if this has changed, but at the time I thought it was more confusing than the Kilpatrick. Luckily I had been warned by a hotel clerk to have plenty of change for the trip.

I have also been paying closer attention on the Kilpatrick and there are signs at each entrance saying "exact change required". I remember the same sign when entering from I-44 from Tulsa. Maybe that one could be larger, but at 70 it might still be missed.

Edited: 10:58 pm, June 16, 2013
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Kilpatrick Turnpike unfriendly to visitors

Had the opportunity to check the Kilpatrick entrance from I-35 headed south. Unfortunately they do not have the "exact change required" signs there like they do at other entrances. I am going to try to point this out to the turnpike authority.

Shelbyville, Indiana
1 post
Save Reply
23. Re: Kilpatrick Turnpike unfriendly to visitors

I drive a tractor trailer, without a toll Booth attendant I am expected to have multiple dollars in change to pay my toll. This is very inconvenient, I don't have the time to stop and pay my toll on- line, I have a schedule to keep. I stay out approximately 1 to 2 weeks at a time, by the time I get home I will be in violation. I believe with the money collected by the turnpike,It could afford to have toll attendants on duty. Thank you for the opportunity to voice my complaint.

24. Re: Kilpatrick Turnpike unfriendly to visitors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:07 am, October 24, 2014

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
397 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Kilpatrick Turnpike unfriendly to visitors

I normally find myself defending all things Oklahoma. However this particular turnpike does have some issues. Yes there are signs that tell you exact change needed. Travelling them regularly I know they have bill changers, so as long as I have some dollar bills I'm ok right? wrong. There have bee 3 times in the last few days that I've had no change and the bill changers aren't working at 2 different stops. I went through feeling guilty because I didn't pay and hoping I won't get any tickets. My other thought is there are 2 lanes to go through, one says "change only" and the other says "receipts" if they aren't manned, which they aren't most of the time, how do those that need receipts get them?

26. Re: Kilpatrick Turnpike unfriendly to visitors

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

27. Re: Kilpatrick Turnpike unfriendly to visitors

28. Re: Kilpatrick Turnpike unfriendly to visitors

Edited: 1:07 am, October 24, 2014

29. Re: Kilpatrick Turnpike unfriendly to visitors

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Kilpatrick Turnpike unfriendly to visitors

The easiest explanation is the pass wasn't turned off. That isn't a problem with the Turnpike Authority but the rental car company.

I used to work for Hertz and the turnpike passes on their cars could not be 'turned off'. That may have changed, but since the passes use passive RFID I don't see how that could be done. Basically the pass is activated by a signal from the tollbooth. I've never seen an on-off switch.

Edited: 5:47 pm, October 19, 2013
Reply to: Kilpatrick Turnpike unfriendly to visitors
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted