We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indian Bear Lodge in Walhonding

geneva
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Indian Bear Lodge in Walhonding

Hello to all from Geneva, Switzerland.

We have to travel to Gambier for our nephew's graduation in May 2013.I have been looking at places where we could all stay, we may be between 5 and 10 people so the cabins at Indian Bear lodge seem interesting.

However there is nothing like local knowledge and I am hoping some of you have stayed there and can tell us if it is a nice place or whether we should look elsewhere.

Years ago we had a family reunion in Wisconsin and it was a nightmare, with a damp, smelly and dirty house with so many mosquitoes we could never eat outside, so we'd like to avoid a repeat experience.

Coming from Europe I'd like something a bit rustic but very clean, I like the idea of log cabins,and the proximity of the Amish country.

Thank you so much for your inside knowledge and all suggestions are most welcome!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indian Bear Lodge in Walhonding

Can't help you with Indian Bear Lodge, but here's an alternative maybe 30-40 minutes from Gambier. Note the availability of rustic cottages in addition to the lodge. There are also rental cabins in the Loudonville area.

www.mohicanstatepark.org/stay_overnight.htm

…state.oh.us/parks/…Default.aspx

The Schnormeier Gardens in Gambier have an annual open house for a few days every year. This year it was in June, but perhaps you might want to contact them to see if you could tour the gardens as you're traveling from Switzerland.

http://www.schnormeiergardens.org/

schnormeiergardens.org/History/history.htm

You might increase the likelihood of a response if you posted in the Columbus forum. Some persons may not look at the Ohio forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g50226-i364-Columb…

geneva
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indian Bear Lodge in Walhonding

Thank you very much for your interesting suggestions, I will definitely look into them, the gardens 'visit sounds lovely .As for accommodations we would still prefer, I think, to stay someplace like Indian Bear Lodge in the sense that it seems less isolated, we'll be there only for 2 or 3 nights and will be busy with graduation events. so it won't be just a holiday and escape in the midst of nature! thanks again for your quick answer.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indian Bear Lodge in Walhonding

BTW, Forbes magazine ranked Kenyon as the most beautiful college campus in the world, ahead of Oxford and Princeton. Of course, it is much different than those famous campuses.

geneva
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indian Bear Lodge in Walhonding

We are really looking forward to visiting the campus, as well as the Ohio countryside!

Crooksville, Ohio...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Indian Bear Lodge in Walhonding

We went to Indian Bear this weekend for a 50th wedding gathering (anniversary). It was WONDERFUL. The facilities are sparkling clean, up to date and the area is secluded and beautiful. I would recommend it highly.

geneva
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Indian Bear Lodge in Walhonding

thank you so much, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear! glad you enjoyed it so much!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Indian Bear Lodge in Walhonding

I just booked the 3 bedroom Lake View Lodge at Indian Bear Lodge for Kenyon graduation 2014, and the owner could not have been nicer on the phone. It is so difficult to get accommodation near the college when events like graduation or parent weekend take place as there are so few places to stay! Even for next year most places are already fully booked. Indian Bear Lodge has a great website and the photos all look really nice. Enjoy your stay!

geneva
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Indian Bear Lodge in Walhonding

Thank you for your note, we're going to Indian Bear Lodge this weekend, I'll let you know about our experience there when we get back!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Indian Bear Lodge in Walhonding

How was your stay at Indian Bear Lodge? Was it easy to travel to Kenyon for commencement activities?

geneva
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Indian Bear Lodge in Walhonding

we had a fantastic time, the weather was very pleasant, the cabin at the Lodge was clean and user friendly, we were able to have a barbecue on the premises, we took a walk in the woods and canooed on the pond.The drive to Gambier isn't long and goes thru some very bucolic and rural areas.We wish we could have stayed longer, 2 long transatlantic flights and 2 nights there!but we would go back if we had a reason to go back.You'll enjoy it!