We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

black mountain nc trip

Ohio
7 posts
Save Topic
black mountain nc trip

Decided t go through Hickory NC..so, traveling from Dayton Oh. on 35 to 77...week of the 4th of July. Never been on this route. How are the interstates mostly I-77 to Hickory? Of any detours...and heavy traffic areas...areas of steep or curvy road?

Mentioned in this post
2 replies to this topic
Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,913 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: black mountain nc trip

https://goo.gl/maps/hDPwV1hVrNs

I am not familiar with much of your US-35 route through Ohio, but once you are on I-77 south, you may experience slow or stopped traffic at the three toll booths in West Virginia. If you have an easy pass, make sure you have money on it and have your car registered for a possibly quicker time.

I have read about lane closures on I-77 north in WV, but I think southbound is ok.

The I-81 interchange in Wytheville, VA can be backed-up with heavy traffic at times.

Other than accidents or construction, the rest of your trip in I-77 should be simple.

If you are a noob to mountains, you may consider I-77 in West Virginia a bit curvy, but it is not bad and most cars have no issue maintaining the speed limit.

I have not driven I-40 between I-77 and Asheville, so don't have any advice for that area.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
West Virginia
West Virginia
United States
Wytheville
Wytheville
Virginia
Asheville
Asheville
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,658 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: black mountain nc trip

The shot on 35 in Ohio will be fine. You'll go through Chillicothe (wave at me when you pass!), then Jackson and Rio Grande (pronounced RYE-Oh Grand, not the appropriate REE-o GRAN-de). You'll cross the Ohio right at Point Pleasant WV, which is a cute little town made famous by the ohio river bridge collapse and the whole mothman thing. They have a Mothman museum there. Kitschy, but kinda interesting. A part of 35 in WV is only 2 lane, so expect to slow down for that stretch before you hit I-64. You won't be on 64 for long, maybe 15-20 minutes, before getting to I-77.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Berlin Grande Hotel
Berlin Grande Hotel
2,746 Reviews
Berlin, OH
Point Pleasant Beach
Point Pleasant Beach
Jersey Shore, NJ
Reply to: black mountain nc trip