We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rest Stops from Medora to Deadwood ??

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
240 posts
224 reviews
Save Topic
Rest Stops from Medora to Deadwood ??

Am taking a road trip in less than two weeks. Solo travel. What rest stops do you recommend on the drive from Medora ND to Deadwood SD? A place or two to have lunch ,fuel up, all that....thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Medora
Medora
North Dakota
Deadwood
Deadwood
South Dakota
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rest Stops from Medora to Deadwood ??

Buffalo SD will be the obvious place imo. It's a deserted route but not boring .

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
240 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rest Stops from Medora to Deadwood ??

Buffalo is in the entirely wrong direction from what I can tell. I will be headed south for less than 300 miles. You are proposing a 400 mile trip as a "stopping point" . Am not going in the direction of Fargo Looks like Bowman is a stop off with a travel center, a few restaurants and a place to refuel. Are there two areas in ND known as Buffalo?

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
North Dakota
Bowman
Bowman
North Dakota
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rest Stops from Medora to Deadwood ??

Buffalo South Dakota is a small town south of Bowman along us85. We had some food there ourselves several years ago. And yes, even spent 2 nights in Bowman ND. Maybe you are confusing Buffalo SD to Buffalo Wyoming.

Mentioned in this post
Bowman
Bowman
North Dakota
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
240 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rest Stops from Medora to Deadwood ??

I guess in the absense of much info I will make my rest stops in Bowman ND and Bell Frouch SD before getting ot Deadwood SD. The 85 S and the 12 interest in Bowman and there appears to be quite a bit to do there if all you need is a meal, a drink adn some fuel. Guess there is just that many stopping places along the 85 S. Will look inot Buffalo ND again, but mapquest said it was over 400 miles from Medoira.

Mentioned in this post
Bowman
Bowman
North Dakota
Deadwood
Deadwood
South Dakota
Buffalo
Buffalo
North Dakota
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
240 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rest Stops from Medora to Deadwood ??

From the Buffalo ND web site it says....Buffalo, North Dakota is located 35 minutes west of Fargo, ND on I-94, just off Exit 314.

As I said.....will not be drvng 400 miles in the wrong direction on a 300 mile drive. There must be 2 by that name....was hoping the ND dept of Tourim could help here. They have been wonderful.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
North Dakota
Fargo
Fargo
North Dakota
North Dakota
Level Contributor
602 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rest Stops from Medora to Deadwood ??

Yeah its Buffalo South Dakota, not the one in ND. We have one in each state. You'll go right through it. Bowman and Buffalo and then Belle Fourche are about it on that trip.

Mentioned in this post
Bowman
Bowman
North Dakota
Buffalo
Buffalo
North Dakota
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rest Stops from Medora to Deadwood ??

I think you should read better. I only mentioned Buffalo SOUTH Dakota in my posts.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
240 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rest Stops from Medora to Deadwood ??

Since this is North Dakota forum, the question was specfically for North Dakota. Thanks.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rest Stops from Medora to Deadwood ??

Most of your drive will be in SD and you asked for places to stop between Medora and Deadwood. Have a safe trip.

Mentioned in this post
Medora
Medora
North Dakota
Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rest Stops from Medora to Deadwood ??

Yikes!!

Tet14 - you sure do have a lot of patience!

Jann1953 - Here's my very helpful 2 cents! Tet14's very helpful advice to you was spot-on. Call up Google Maps. Under directions, type (From) Medora, ND (To) Buffalo, SOUTH Dakota, and then click on 'add destination' and type in Deadwood, SOUTH Dakota. Maybe this will clear things up for you.

Mentioned in this post
Medora
Medora
North Dakota
Buffalo
Buffalo
North Dakota
South Dakota
South Dakota
United States
Deadwood
Deadwood