We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway 281

Virden, Mb.
Level Contributor
134 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Highway 281

IS 281 advisable for January travel from Western Mb. or is #29 worth extra distance heading to Texas?

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highway 281

Definately get on I-29 as soon as you can. (Take either Highway 2 over to Grand Forks to connect or I-94 over to Fargo.)

281 is 2 lane most of the way & you have to slow down through every small town.

I-29 is like the trans canada highway...no stops, no slowing down, higher speed limit.

Mentioned in this post
Fargo
Fargo
North Dakota
Virden, Mb.
Level Contributor
134 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highway 281

Thank YUo

Virden, Mb.
Level Contributor
134 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highway 281

Last year we did #29 until KC going To Galveston.But if heading to South Padre, would it be better to hit 81 at Waterton,Sioux City, Omaha ?? Aprreciate your thoughts.

Mentioned in this post
Galveston
Galveston
Galveston Island, TX
South Padre Island
South Padre Island
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Omaha
Omaha
Nebraska
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highway 281

I see your north of Minot, I've drove from Minot south many times.

Best route for you: Depending where you cross border, if it's north of Minot, follow US-52 until you reach Jamestown, if it's north of Bottineau then take ND-3 until it joins up with US-52 until you reach Jamestown. From Jamestown it's worth it to take I-94 & connect with I-29. I would follow I-29 to Omaha. Then take I-80 west until it connects with US-81. From there it isn't far until US-81 becomes 4-lane and becomes I-35...then it's a straight shot.

I took the 281 route once & never again. Got stuck at a railroad crossing in Nebraska for 20 minutes while a slow moving train passed. There's also a much greater risk of hitting a deer if your driving at dusk, night or dawn on the 2 lane roads.

Mentioned in this post
Minot
Minot
North Dakota
Jamestown
Jamestown
North Dakota
Omaha
Omaha
Nebraska
Virden, Mb.
Level Contributor
134 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highway 281

Thank you very much. Makes perfect sense.

Virden, Mb.
Level Contributor
134 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highway 281

#3,then #2 to Grand Forks, i -29s to Omaha also good ???

Mentioned in this post
Omaha
Omaha
Nebraska
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Highway 281

Yes...I would go the Hwy 2 route if I was driving at night. I've seen many deer along hwy 52 so don't like that one at night. Taking 2 is slightly longer but more pleasant drive as it's 4-lane & you don't have to worry about passing slow vehicles (there is a lot of truck traffic on 52 sometimes).

52 also takes you through downtown Jamestown which can slow you down if you get caught at the train crossing downtown. (always happens to me).

Only place that slows you down on 2 is Devils Lake has 2 stop lights I believe, but they are quick.

Mentioned in this post
Jamestown
Jamestown
North Dakota
Devils Lake
Devils Lake
North Dakota
Virden, Mb.
Level Contributor
134 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Highway 281

Thanks for your responses. I take it you do not think taking #81 at Waterton is a good option. Last year, we returned #83 from San Antonio. Don't do. Too much FRACKING traffic in North Texas. (Oil service)

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
9. Re: Highway 281

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 26, 2013