We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Colors Peak Sheyenne River Valley & Historic Hotel

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Fall Colors Peak Sheyenne River Valley & Historic Hotel

Of course, peak fall colors are unpredictable.

But can anyone give me ballpark estimate dates for fall color peaks in the Sheyenne River Valley Scenic Byway?

Also, any favorite low cost hotels in the area? We would particularly love a historic old hotel.

Thanks!

North Dakota
Level Contributor
602 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Colors Peak Sheyenne River Valley & Historic Hotel

The best bet is September, but I have seen the color start late then and stay into October. Low cost is probably in Lisbon either the Super 8 or the Island Park Motel in Lisbon. I am stumped with a suggestion for historic old hotel, other than the motel is old in Lisbon. You could try Jamestown, but I can't think of any hotel really meeting that description there either.

Mentioned in this post
Jamestown
Jamestown
North Dakota
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Colors Peak Sheyenne River Valley & Historic Hotel

Thanks JA!

We are also looking at Valley City as a possible overnight. I will check out Lisbon & Jamestown too.

Mentioned in this post
Jamestown
Jamestown
North Dakota
Stanley, North...
Level Contributor
9 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Colors Peak Sheyenne River Valley & Historic Hotel

I have one suggestion in fort ransom...there's an older house there that has been turned into a motel/inn. Check out the rockstad river inn. The only issue is that I'm not sure if they serve meals there...you used to be able to walk down the street to the restaurant, but that is closed now. The gas station/general store serves up little meals in the morning, and the bar takes over in the afternoon. Just so you know. But for historic hotels....hmm, that's the only one I can think of, other than a bed and breakfast in valley city maybe???

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Colors Peak Sheyenne River Valley & Historic Hotel

Thanks, katens! We are off to google that inn. We travel with food & stove. All we need is WiFi LOL.

North Dakota
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall Colors Peak Sheyenne River Valley & Historic Hotel

Adjacent to the Sheyenne National Grasslands there is a beautifully wooded campground called Sheyenne Oaks Horse Camp. You don't need a horse to enjoy the camground. They offer cabins, which are quite nice. One of them, Bertha's Cabin, orginated in the early 1900's but has been remodeled, including a hot tub. See it at www.sheyenneoaks.com.

Also, if you will be traveling this areas in mid September, Enderlin Sunflower Festival is September 14-16. Enderlin is just to the east of the Sheyenne River Valley National Scenic Byway.

Hope these ideas help as you plan your trip!

6. Re: Fall Colors Peak Sheyenne River Valley & Historic Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 30, 2013