We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stay within an hour (aprox) of Pinehurst No.2

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Places to stay within an hour (aprox) of Pinehurst No.2

For this years 2014 US Open. Looking for somewhere to stay that is within an hours drive of the US open. A town with good bars? Golf courses close?

The plan is to start aound the NC/SC area. We will probably 3/4 nights as we have US open tickets for the Thursday. Somewhere with some good public golf courses we can play would be a bonus as we're keen golfers.

I have been looking at Raliegh and Greensboro for hotels (both seems about an hour away from pinehurst) as everything seems fully booked near Pinehurst. What would you suggest for a group of 30 year old guys, looking for golf and good bars around NC and close enough to the Open to travel too on the day?

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
6,828 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to stay within an hour (aprox) of Pinehurst No.2

I think Pinehurst has been booked up for months if not a year now.

I don't golf so can't advise on courses, but I think Raleigh or Apex would be a good place to stay. It's an easy drive down hwy 1.

Alternately you might enjoy Chapel Hill. It's a university town about 1.25 hrs north of Pinehurst. Lots of great bars in town and great food. I know folks who seem to enjoy themselves golfing at UNC Finley Golf Course, but I couldn't rate the course myself. It's open to the public I believe. http://www.uncfinley.com

Here's a site where you can look up golf courses: www.golflink.com/golf-courses/state.aspx… . I don't know what the availability of courses would be in Pinehurst, but I do know there are a lot of other courses besides No. 2. I would guess the other courses will be very busy, though.

I would avoid staying south of Pinehurst, like the Fayetteville area. Less desirable.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to stay within an hour (aprox) of Pinehurst No.2

Finley is an excellent public course ( Tom Fazio design ) and Chapel Hill would be an excellent lace to stay with plenty ofnice bars and restaurants. Sadly, mostof the better courses in the area are private ( unlike Ireland and the UK ) but there are several open to the public including the gem at Duke University about 10 miles from Chapel Hill.

Of course there are numerous options in Pinehurst which would be about an hour away, icluding Pine Needles, Mid Pines, Talamore, Pinehurst National, to name a few.Bryan Park in Greensboro would be about 1:15 away.

Also, if you belong to a club in England, there is a good chance your pro could get you access to a number of nice private clubs in the area that would be happy to get your greens fees and, hopefully reciprocate some of the fine hospitality many of us have enjoyed in your country

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to stay within an hour (aprox) of Pinehurst No.2

Really appriciate the tips. Thanks.

Will look at Hotels around Chapel Hill. Seems like a place that me and my friends would enjoy.

Also sounds like there are tons of good golf courses (even just the public ones) so sure will be fine.

Virginia
Level Contributor
913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to stay within an hour (aprox) of Pinehurst No.2

I think Chapel Hill is an excellent choice for a home base in this area, not too far from the Open (just over an hour drive), with plenty of dining and drinking options. Two golf courses you may want to look into are Tot Hill Farm, near Asheboro, and Tobacco Road, near Sanford. Both are designed by Mike Strantz. They can be visually daunting, and at points very difficult, but I enjoy both of them.

http://tothillfarm.com/

http://www.tobaccoroadgolf.com/

As an aside, I'll be in Pinehurst, a volunteer marshall for the US Open. If you want to keep in touch, perhaps I can have a pint with you when I'm not on duty.

Enjoy your visit.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,321 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to stay within an hour (aprox) of Pinehurst No.2

If looking for an inexpensive accommodation - not too far from Pinehurst & Chapel Hill, check Fairfield Inn in Ashboro. We stayed there just recently, Kingsize bed + breakfast under $80 + tax. Golf courses not too far; check previous post. The rates may be higher during 2014 US Open, but still reasonable, IMO

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29874-d1389868…

Next to Hampton & Holiday Inn Express... this one looked very new...

http://tothillfarm.com/

Edited: 10:46 am, February 06, 2014
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,259 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to stay within an hour (aprox) of Pinehurst No.2

Good recommendations on both counts!

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to stay within an hour (aprox) of Pinehurst No.2

Tothillfarm golf course looks amazing, have for got to play there! Great recommendation, thanks. Seems to be a lot of reasonably priced accommodation around Chapel Hill, will work something out.

Thanks all for your tips.

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to stay within an hour (aprox) of Pinehurst No.2

Thanks Dave for the tips on golf courses. Always good to have an idea and plan when you're new somewhere. Will give me a chance to look in to booking tee times at these gems!

As for the US open I am only there on the Thursday but yes would be a pleasure to grab a pint and meet a friendly face. We can keep on contact on here. Dan.

Edited: 3:15 pm, February 06, 2014
9. Re: Places to stay within an hour (aprox) of Pinehurst No.2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, February 08, 2015