We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DC to North Carolina weekend trip

Boston
4 posts
Save Topic
DC to North Carolina weekend trip

I'm planning to take a trip with my boyfriend to North Carolina next weekend - I'd only have Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon and am going just for fun (never been to North Carolina, so why not?). Given the short time I have, I'd love to get in a scenic drive, some natural sights, and some time in one of the metropolitan areas. The Blue Ridge Parkway looks beautiful but seems to add two hours to the drive down (as opposed to going straight from DC to Raleigh-Durham) - do you think it's worth it? I don't know much about NC yet, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,858 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DC to North Carolina weekend trip

In Va you can get to the mountainy regions much quicker than you can in NC. Check out the terrain on google maps.

If you come down 95 Friday afternoon traffic can be terrible as I'm sure you know. It should be about a 4 hr drive, but I've gotten stuck on 95 near Quantico and had it take 7 instead.

Raleigh would probably be your quickest destination if traffic cooperates, but the terrain around Raleigh is pretty much like the terrain around DC. There are things to do but of course DC has the museum scene wrapped up.

The main tourist destinations in NC are the beach and the mountains but it would take you longer to get to NC mts than Va mts. You could avoid 95 that way, though, and go down 81. The northern Outer Banks aren't too far from DC so that could work too.

Edited: 10:13 am, April 06, 2013
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DC to North Carolina weekend trip

Have you ever been to Charlottesville, VA? That would be a nice alternative and much closer to DC.

3. Re: DC to North Carolina weekend trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 08, 2014