We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pretty Route for fall ?

Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Pretty Route for fall ?

Next week we are flying into Greensboro, NC then driving to Roanoke, VA. I understand there is a shorter route, but I would like to see Pilot Mountain and Mt Airy, so will taking US 158 and US 220 allow us to see some Fall Foliage areas? The other route is using US 52, VA148, US 77, and US 81. (Saves about 30 minutes). Will we miss seeing anything in VA by driving some of the route after dark? I guess that sounds silly and maybe I should ask on the VA forum?

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,417 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pretty Route for fall ?

I'm not sure what you mean about 158 and 220. 220 goes straight from G-boro to Roanoke and 158 hits 220 right above Gboro. Did you mean 58?

I-77 is actually very scenic. It's carved high into the side of the mountains so you are looking down into a lot of valleys. If you go over to Winston-Salem and take 52/74 that will take you right by Pilot Mountain. You can get off and go visit Mt Airy if you like. Maybe you meant then picking up 148 and 221? I think that could be a nice route. Floyd is right on 221 and it would be a nice little stop. They have a big hippie :) music festival. If you decide to go the other way, though, I-77 is very scenic and I-81 is pretty scenic, but not as much as I-77. Both are much more scenic than I-40 or I-85.

Asking on the VA forum is a good idea, but yeah, I think you would miss a lot by driving after dark. It's a nice area of the state and I'd try to plan your route so you can see the foliage there, too.

Fullerton...
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pretty Route for fall ?

Thank you for your reply. I used the word US 158 as shown on a map, but it might be 58. Your directions and sights sound good. Looking forward to it!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,417 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pretty Route for fall ?

I think you mean 148 to 221. Check google maps. It usually gives pretty good directions.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pretty Route for fall ?

If you want to see Mount Airy/Pilot Mtn, and get into some fall foliage, do this:

Take I-40 West towards Winston-Salem to US 52 North. Follow past Pilot Mountain to Mt. Airy. Stop off for a while to explore downtown, then take US 52 N into Virginia (you might also want to stop at one of the many antique shops and produce stands along this stretch). Follow to Fancy Gap where you'll pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway, which takes you to Roanoke.

5. Re: Pretty Route for fall ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, December 15, 2013