We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabins in Raleigh Durham?

Florida City...
Level Contributor
876 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Cabins in Raleigh Durham?

Originally were looking at doing the Gatlinburg thing but due to flight prices, we are coming in to the R-D airport. Recommendations for cabins or nice hotels? We will have to rent a car but are not familiar with driving with the twists and turns of mountain driving, so would like something more along the base lines- if that's even possible. Coming in 2 1/2 weeks so I am pressed for time on making a decision. Thanks!

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabins in Raleigh Durham?

Marli, Raleigh is not anywhere near Gatlinburg; it is a 5 1/2 hour drive. Are you getting Asheville and Raleigh confused or did I misunderstand your question?

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,043 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabins in Raleigh Durham?

My thought as well. I can't think of any cabins on curvy roads around the Triangle area.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
526 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabins in Raleigh Durham?

If you fly into Raleigh-Durham but wanna do mountains, you're going to have to drive at least 4 hours westward. Asheville is the logical choice, and there are tons of rental cabins in the area. But Boone/Blowing Rock area is about the same drive time too, just along a different highway.

Florida City...
Level Contributor
876 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabins in Raleigh Durham?

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. We are not going to Gatlinburg due to the flight prices into Knoxville. Decided on doing similar outdoor adventure type things in NC. Don't mind driving a little but not interested in a 3 hr+ drive.

Thanks for the suggestions.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabins in Raleigh Durham?

As others have mentioned, there are no cabins for rent in the Raleigh Durham area. For "similar outdoor adventure type things in NC", you may have to drive 4+ hours to the mountains or 3+ hours to the coast.

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabins in Raleigh Durham?

Hanging Rock State Park is is 2 1/2 hours away from Raleigh. You will find some nice hiking trails with a view and a couple of small waterfalls. There is also a small life-guarded, spring-fed lake that you can swim in there. Low keyed but lovely. The Dan River (flat water) runs near there in Danbury. You can rent inner tubes or canoes from the outfitter there.

http://www.danrivercompany.com/ Carolina Zip Lines is also nearby in Westfield. http://www.carolinaziplines.com

Raleigh is the state capitol of North Carolina. Check out some of the links on TripAdvisor for museums and such.

Have fun!

Florida City...
Level Contributor
876 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabins in Raleigh Durham?

Thank you for that link and the additional information. Looks like something we could definetly do, in addition to city viewing. Can't wait!

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabins in Raleigh Durham?

The other state park to check out is Fairy Stone State Park in Virgina. They also have a small lake for swimming. Again, low-keyed but very nice. They also have have cabins there. (Hanging Rock has cabins also. Both places tend to book way in advance but it might be worth checking into)

Oh, Fairy Stone State Park is near Philpott Lake, a big Corps of Engineers lake. Lovely also. …army.mil/visitors/projects.cfm…

Something else to consider is Mt. Airy a.k.a. Mayberry, There are also wineries south of Mt. Airy. (Yadkin Valley AVA) Sanders Ridge Winery has a zipline and good food at the restaurant. Service can be a little slow but hamburgers are delicious.

Hope you have a great time, whatever direction you decide to head!

9. Re: Cabins in Raleigh Durham?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, October 06, 2012