We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay near the Coast.....first timer

Greenville,Ohio
6 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay near the Coast.....first timer

I thought I posted this yesterday but cant find it. We're going to be in Asheville 3 days and plan on staying near the coast 4 days. I need ideas I have 2 teenage daughters and my wife and them have never seen the ocean. I thought the USS North Carolina Battleship would be neat, but I dunno if the girls would appreciate it. Looking for some fun stuff, lodging, and good seafood. Any direction at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,416 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay near the Coast.....first timer

The Carolina/Kure Beach area gets my vote! About 15 minutes or so from Wilmington. The USS NC is very interesting...I think your girls would like it.

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay near the Coast.....first timer

atlantic beach is my long time favorite. there's a little shopping within driving distance both on emerald isle, in beaufort,a beautiful old port town. my dad always loved this place on front street in beaufort- you can watch these guys make sailboats by hand- he'd stay there all day while we shopped. and jacksonville has some great malls, little bit more of a drive but worth it(outlet malls:).

the best seafood is big oak grill- (get the shrimp burger) at atlantic beach.there are a few locals around the southern half of the island- like salterpath, the old looking mom and pop's are all wonderful around there! they know how to grill seafood so good!

my sister and i love the beaches there, she's 20 and im 23 and we always have such nice summers around that area.

hope you have fun!

oh, and maybe check into the lighthouses up near the outter banks instead of the battleship. the ferry rides are beautiful and there's a great new aquarium at atlantic beach if you have time.

Enjoy boone and asheville! that's such a nice area as well!!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay near the Coast.....first timer

Most (not all) teenagers would enjoy Myrtle Beach more than the Wilmington area. You could actually take a day trip to the USS NC as it's not much more than an hour from MB.

Greenville,Ohio
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay near the Coast.....first timer

thx for the ideas everyone!

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay near the Coast.....first timer

It sounds like time might be of the essence on your trip. You might check out the beaches around Charleston, South Carolina--a little bit closer. Great city too. Little bit of something for everyone. USS Yorktown is there. Great shopping downtown. Beautiful architecture. Ghost walks. Kayaking. Delicious food. Nice aquarium.

I'm ready to go back just talking about it!

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay near the Coast.....first timer

From the Asheville, NC area u can drive to the coast in about 6 hours. The northern Outer Banks in Currituck County, NC are great for families. You have clean, wide beaches, lots of shopping, lodging, historical sites, lighthouses, and wild horses. It's also close to the Virginia Beach, VA oceanfront.

Topsail Island, NC
Level Contributor
977 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay near the Coast.....first timer

One of the towns on Topsail Island - North Topsail Beach, Surf City or Topsail Beach - might be just what you are looking for.

The island is laid back and family friendly and lodging can be had for a reasonable price.

The island is only about a 40 minute drive to the USS North Carolina, which your girls might find interesting - my girls liked it. Wilmington is a nice place to have a day trip. In addition to the battleship the downtown riverfront area is full of interesting shops and restaurants and such that your family might enjoy.

There is also an aquarium at Fort Fisher that is awesome for adults and kids alike.

Good luck in choosing a vacation destination!

8. Re: Where to stay near the Coast.....first timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, October 03, 2012