We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for snow!

Brunson
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for snow!

Looking for a 2 maybe 3 day get away early - mid January to play in the snow. I know Cataloochee has a ski resort with tubing (that's the activity that we are after), but are there any places to tube and just paly in the snow closer to the SC/NC state line? We will be making a quick trip and are not interested in skiing, so we don't need big slopes. Also will need to know if these areas make snow all the time or a website would be nice (I have Cataloochee).

Also a nice cabin rental place for a night or 2.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for snow!

Natural snow on the ground will be hit or miss, even in Jan. You'll just have to check the weather. The tubing at Cataloochee is down in Maggie Valley, about 5 miles down the mountain from the ski area. There is no real lodging at Cataloochee ski area, except for the cabins at Cataloochee Ranch, which is right next door, but not walking distance. At Cataloochee, you stay down in Maggie Valley and drive up to the ski area.

There will be a better chance of natural snow at the Boone/Banner Elk NC ski resorts at higher elevation....ie Sugar Mt. and Beech Mt. Check their websites for tubing. They have more of a village atmosphere, but most people still drive to the slopes.

As far as snow tubing, there is a very minimal operation at Scaly Mt., NC, on the NC/Ga line. I don't know that I would recommend it, and it may not still be in business. On Lookout Mt. in Alabama, there is Cloudmont Ski Resort....a pretty minimal operation as well....check if they have tubing.

Even in the NC mountains, natural snow is sporadic, The Highlands/Cashiers area is 4000 feet high elevation, and is another option. There is a small ski resort there at Sapphire...I don't know about tubing.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for snow!

The ski resorts in the northern NC mountains, Boone, Blowing Rock, Banner Elk areas offer the best snow-making in the area. Unless the temps. are staying well above freezing for long periods of time; there will be snow skiing, tubing, skating etc. going on up there. Here's a good article which gives lots info./places for area tubing...... thefamilytravelfiles.com/ezine/articles/222/

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,629 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for snow!

You'd have a good chance of seeing natural snow at Newfound Gap on Hwy. 441 between Cherokee, NC and Gatlinburg, TN. It's a pretty long ride from the SC/NC line, though.

Brunson
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for snow!

I may try the north GA mountains. Not wanting to go too far bacause we were just there PF/GB/GSMNP last week, but the trip was a disaster and would like to take another trip before our jobs get hectic. We live about 30 miles north of Hilton Head Island, SC.... so we have a ways to drive to get to Banner Elk , etc.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for snow!

Curious - what made your PF trip a disaster?

Brunson
Level Contributor
305 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for snow!

My brother and SNL (younger! early-mid 20's) absurd, obnoxious...... content not to do anything we wanted to do, but only the things they insisted on doing. Just not a good trip. The trip is posted under Pigeon Forge "Trip Nov. 18 - Nov 21".

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
441 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for snow!

Hawknest near Banner Elk is a former ski resort converted to tubing, etc. There are plenty of good places to stay and good dining options as well. It is less than 2 hrs from Rock Hill.

florida
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for snow!

You may try the Brevard North Carolina area. It is close to the SC border. Tke highway 215 north from Brevard until you reach the BRP. It will be at 5,000 feet elevation and you may see snow. You can sled there. The BRP will be closed and you can hike on it or just play in the snow. Watch the weather reports.

9. Re: Looking for snow!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, May 30, 2010