We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deep Creek Tubing

Plant City, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
Deep Creek Tubing

We are planning a trip to the Bryson city area in August. We have been tubing on deep creek years ago, but I am trying to find out if there are age restrictions. I know the upper part of the creek would not be appropriate for my 3 yr old, but I was wondering about the lower part. Has anyone tubed with small children? We tubed last year in Helen GA and my son rode with my husband, he loved it, but we much prefer the Bryson Area.

Tallahassee, Florida
2 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Deep Creek Tubing

I tubed many times on Deep Creek as a youngster, and only returned a few years ago with my own family. Two years ago, there were no age restrictions. What a blast! My husband took our 3 1/2 year old tubing on the lower part while I hiked to the upper falls with our newborn. My advice: keep to the lower part of the river, and wear water sandals, which are easier to clear of the inevitable pebbles and sand you'll pick up along the way. Most importantly, make sure your child wears a Coastgaurd-approved life jacket appropriate for his/her age and size. You can usually find them at Target this time of year. My experience at Deep Creek goes back 35-plus years, and I do remember hearing of the occaisional drowning. The water is mostly shallow, but it moves quickly, quickly enough to carry a child away from you if the tube tips (and it likely will). I think it would not be an unreasonable idea for adults to wear life jackets, too, as the drowning victims I remember were adult males.

Pack a picnic lunch, sunscreen and bugspray (the flies there bite!), and have fun!

Plant City, Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
2. Re: Deep Creek Tubing

Thanks so much for the reply. We are really looking forward to the trip!

Charleston, Sc
Level Contributor
19 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: Deep Creek Tubing

Just got back from tubing in Deep Creek - it was great fun! No age restrictions & from what I heard from some locals, the water level is lower than normal by bout 7 inches, so even the upper part was not really that rough as in white water, just a little more challenging to get over the rocks with less water there. I saw several folks with kids in their laps & they had to get a bump frequently to get down some parts. Meanwhile, the little kids on their own just zip down - less weight!

We camped at the Deep Creek National Park (part of the Smokey Mtns) for $17/night & it was great - it's right on the creek & kids were in the creek all day until 8pm! Tube rentals were about $2-4/day in walking distance & showers, too. I recommend camping there, too - its beautiful

Great family fun - enjoy!!!

4. Re: Deep Creek Tubing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, September 04, 2009