We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please advise on NC beach vacation

pittsburgh
2 posts
Save Topic
Please advise on NC beach vacation

Hi! I am traveling from Pittsburgh, PA to Durham, NC (Duke University) for a friend's wedding this July and I am looking for a good beach to stop by on the way or any beach that is not too far from Duke. It will just be for a few days' stay with my boyfriend, preferrably somewhere relatively quiet and a little romantic! Please advise if you have the time, thanks!!! :)

North Carolina
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Please advise on NC beach vacation

Hi, I live only one hour from Durham. We have many good beaches here but here are some I prefer and you can look them up on the internet. Wilmington is a port town with alot of historic sites and is home to the USS North Carolina Battleship(retired) which is fun to walk through even for adults. The downtown is very historic with old homes and shops and great food. (eat at Elijahs which is located on the waterfront downtown.) You can take a horse and carriage ride through downtown which is nice. Next to Wilmington is Wilmington Beach, Carolina Beach and Kure Beach, all in a row with one another. You can get to all these locations by taking I-40 out of Raleigh and you are there in about two and half hours. Fourty five minutes on Hwy 17 south out of Wilmington and you can go to Ocean Isle Beach and Holden Beach which are small family oriented beaches, quiet and nice, more houses here than motels. Hwy 17 south will also take you into South Carolina to the famous Myrtle Beach which is the largest tourist beach on the Carolina Coast, plenty to do here but not real quiet. Hope this helped, good luck.

pittsburgh
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please advise on NC beach vacation

thanks for your help woodkutz, i greatly appreciate it!

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
572 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Please advise on NC beach vacation

I grew up with my back door literally looking out at Duke, and now live 2 miles from that house. I have gone to NC beaches almost every year of my life, and I would have to say that while Wilmington is a little bit closer than the Atlantic Beach/Morehead City and Beaufort area, I much prefer the latter for the following reasons:

- I want to feel like I'm actually at the beach, when I go to the beach. In Wilmington, which is a cool place to go, no doubt, I don't every really feel like I'm escaping, even when I go to Wrightsville. Maybe it's just me, but anyway.

- the traffic is ssooooooo much worse in Wilmington.

- Fabulous restaurants in Morehead and Beaufort - Windansea, Front Street Grill, Spouter Inn Beaufort Grocery with others whose names escape me.

- Beaufort is one of the most charming, quaint places I've ever been to. I really feel like I'm on a boating island like Nantucket (where by the way I've never been, but have seen pictures). Sit out at the Dock House, have a beer, watch the boats come in; you will relax.

- Radio Island - it's between Morehead City and Beaufort on Highway 70. There's a public beach access, or really a public sound access since its on the sound and not the beach. Very calm water with cool things happening all the time. Lots of dogs playing with the people, I've seen amazing shells there, seen people catch amazing fish there. Great view of Bird Island where you can see the wild ponies.

I could go on about how amazing this area is! Other great places too, on the Outer Banks, especially, but much longer drive to get to.

Have fun wherever you end up!

raleigh
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Please advise on NC beach vacation

Ok, the traffic in Wilmington is pretty bad, but if you just simply take I-40 from Raleigh/Durham and turn left toward Wrightsville beach, you almost totally avoid it. There are enough great little hotels and fantastic restaurants that you really don't have to go into Wilmington. The Waterway Lodge, Holiday Inn Sunspree (new-ish), and Blockade Runner (recently remodeled) are all good places to stay. The Causeway or Middle of the Island for breakfast, Oceanic (on the beach) or Bluewater (on the sound) for lunch/dinner. Stroll up and down the beach or relax during the sunny hours and pop in some of the little shops that are everywhere for a break. To me, Wrightsville Beach is a little chunk of paradise, and very romantic as well. Have a wonderful time!

smyrna, north...
Level Contributor
44 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please advise on NC beach vacation

i live near beaufort, no comparison to wilmington. traffic here is not nearly as bad. if you are looking for something tamer than wilmington, come to carteret county and take a ferry to cape lookout or shackleford. if you are looking for the party/nightlife scene, you are probably better off going to wilmington.