We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Carolina? Georgia? Tennessee? Help!?

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
4 helpful votes
North Carolina? Georgia? Tennessee? Help!?

I'm in the process of planning a camping trip for the end of May 2018 and I cannot decide on a location. We plan to tent camp and love outdoor adventures (hiking, kayaking, rafting etc.) We went to Ohiopyle last year and loved it but rented a house through VRBO so this will our first time tent camping again in almost 5 years! I was contemplating the Smokey Mountains but I'm not a big fan of crowds, I kind of prefer something a bit more off the beaten path. I have been looking at North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Northern Georgia but I just cannot narrow it down. Definitely want to go somewhere in the mountains as long hikes are a family favorite and waterfalls are a must :) I would appreciate ANY suggestions!!! Also my kids are 12, 9 and 5.

Georgia
Level Contributor
23,930 posts
95 reviews
65 helpful votes
1. Re: North Carolina? Georgia? Tennessee? Help!?

You can't go wrong with any of those. State parks can be a great option. National forest campgrounds won't be too crowded but may not have the amenities you want. Here's a list of waterfalls in the NE corner of Georgia -

onlyinyourstate.com/georgia/…

Western NC is just over the state line and the GSMNP could be a day trip. If you want a private campground, this one is nice in north Georgia -

http://www.enota.com/tent-camping.htm

Chattanooga...
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
10,730 posts
156 reviews
80 helpful votes
2. Re: North Carolina? Georgia? Tennessee? Help!?

Since we do not camp, I can only suggest several areas for you to check out. I do hope these suggestions you.

www.blueridgeparkway.com

www.nps.gov/blri

www.recreation.gov

www.virtualblueridge.com

www.visitNCSmokies.com

www.visitwaterfalls.com

www.tourcartercounty.com

www.OcoeeOutdoors.com

www.lookoutmountain.com

www.outdoorchattanooga.com

www.chattanoogafun.com

Edited: 11:00 am, January 03, 2018
Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
10,925 posts
39 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: North Carolina? Georgia? Tennessee? Help!?

Are you wanting to car camp at a campground or backpack to a more remote campsite? I'm assuming car camp since you didn't say backpacking, but you mentioned being more remote so just wanted to make sure.

If you're car camping you might check out the camping options at Julian Price Park near Blowing Rock and Boone. Check out www.exploreboone.com too and also www.exploreasheville.com and they both list many campgrounds in the areas.

NC
Level Contributor
497 posts
4. Re: North Carolina? Georgia? Tennessee? Help!?

Transylvania County, NC ( Brevard). Great camping and hiking area with beautiful waterfalls.

5. Re: North Carolina? Georgia? Tennessee? Help!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 05, 2019