We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upstate New York must sees

st. louis
Level Contributor
52 posts
47 reviews
37 helpful votes
Upstate New York must sees

I am planning a vacation 1st week of October. I have my route and hotels reserved. Basically arrive Albany, go to lake placid, go to burlington, go to franciosa, nh, go to killington, vt and then back to albany. What are the must sees along this route, I was planning to go to Stowe as well.

Utica, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
24 reviews
63 helpful votes
1. Re: Upstate New York must sees

A Trip Advisor "Go List" I sent last spring has some places you should

check out.....It's entitled "10 great places to walk around in Upstate

New York." Many of them....Troy, Saratoga Springs, & Saranac Lake are convenient to your route.

You should consider Route 9 from Albany to Lake Placid.....Schroon Lake is my favorite town in this area.

Lake Placid is a great town, but Saranac is only 10-15 minutes away, and is very historic....The Robert Lewis Stevenson cabin is a must-see. Another 20 miles to the east is Tupper Lake, which now has a new natural history museum that's supposed to be Smithsonian-quality. I have not seen it myself, but have read many positive reviews. It has only been open for a few months.

From Lake Placid to Burlington, consider taking the ferry from Essex, NY to Charlotte, Vt, which should offer great fall foliage on Lake Champlain in early October. The towns along the lake are charming, but don't offer a lot in the way of shopping or attractions.

Franconia is rustic, but a great town. If the Robert Frost home is still open, it's worth a visit. There are some nice restaurants. The Franconia Notch State Park is beautiful; there are plenty of trails that are not too long, but offer wonderful scenery--especially "The Flume" trail.

Stowe offers Mt. Mansfield, the tallest peak in Vermont. Try the auto road if you're not scared of heights, and winding, curvy roads--my wife & I decided 3/4 of the way up was enought, but we still loved the view.

Woodstock, New York
Level Contributor
135 posts
7 reviews
48 helpful votes
2. Re: Upstate New York must sees

You may also want to check out another museum in blue mountain lake - which would be a bit of a detour, but the Adirondack Museum there is a great place to get Adk history. If that is too far off the beaten path - definetly consider the Shelburn museum in burlington, VT - allow a full day to see it - also in burlington is a great downtown area (church st.) with tons of interesting restaurants. You will absolutely want to go over to Burlington on the Lake Champlain Ferry that runs out of Port Kent, NY (they have a web site). It's close to an hour crossing and drops you right into downtown Burlington. The views on the lake from the ferry are wonderful. I believe they operate through Columbus Day weekend.

3. Re: Upstate New York must sees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, August 24, 2009