We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supershuttle NYC

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Supershuttle NYC

I apologise for bringing this topic up again, it looks as though many others have posted topics on Supershuttle over the years. But I just wanted to share my experiences with the company in case anyone else was thinking of using them - DON'T! I would hate for you to be completely ripped off and treated as badly as I was.

I would strongly advise against using this company for any part of your travel. I wish I had checked Trip Advisor before agreeing with my travel agent to book with them!

In April 2013, my travel agent booked an airport transfer with this company on my behalf. The shuttle was supposed to be for 30 June from LaGuardia Airport, NY to a hotel in the Upper East Side, with a second transfer booked for 7 July taking me to Newark airport from this same hotel location.

On 30 June, upon arriving from my flight, I called the customer services line after not being able to find the shuttle (there was no driver waiting for me as promised). I was then told that there wouldn't be another shuttle for 2 hours. As it was already 11pm, it seemed the best idea to cancel the shuttle and just get a taxi to the hotel. I should've done this in the first place to save trouble with this company! Their was no apology from SuperShuttle. As a solo foreign traveller who had never been to NYC before, I was quite stressed by this as you can imagine.

The second trip from the hotel to Newark was also a disaster.

I believe I did the right thing by confirming the shuttle 24 hours beforehand, as per the companies' instructions. But when I phoned them to do so (after being hung up on them three times, for some reason their phone signal is really bad??) the man I spoke with was particularly uncaring. He simply said they 'don't have a suitable vehicle' and offered me no alternative transport, so I had no option but to cancel this transfer as well.

My tip to avoid this company and from being ripped off:

*If you're travelling from LaGuardia Airport to any hotel in NYC (or vise versa) the airport is not that far away. My taxi only cost $30 including tips.

*Hotels generally know the cheapest way to get to the airport and can arrange an airport shuttle for you. I ended up on a shared shuttle to Newark airport with NO dramas for only $16.

*In total:

SuperShuttle cost $220 for the two transfers I didn't end up using.

Using local taxis and hotel shuttles only cost $46.

You can do the math and decide for yourself which is the complete rip off!

They also initially refused to give me a refund however my travel agent pursued it further with the company and they finally did refund the $220 rip off price. If they owe you a refund too, make sure you pursue it!

I hope to God this company gets their act together. I would never ever recommend them to anyone. In fact, if any of my friends or relatives were considering using this Supershuttle, I would actively go out of my way to prevent them from doing so. That's how bad this company is. It's not just the ridiculous price, it's the uncaring attitude of them that is the absolute worst part. Super shuttle? More like supers**t.

If anyone takes exception to my opinions of this company, I would happily discuss my experience with you further. But please, if you want to save yourself the headache, do not use Supershuttle.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supershuttle NYC

**SuperShuttle cost $220 for the two transfers I didn't end up using.**

I really don't know why visitors just don't take a standard yellow cab when coming to NY. $220 is a ridiculous price....Your agent did a number on you...

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,570 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Supershuttle NYC

$220??? Fire your travel agent.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supershuttle NYC

I don't believe it was her fault. She worked hard and got me a full refund thankfully :)

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,570 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Supershuttle NYC

It's good that she got you a full refund, but unless there were ten of you, there's no excuse for booking such an overpriced transfer service for you in the first place.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,075 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supershuttle NYC

She worked hard to correct her mistake, which makes her a good person. She was not a good travel agent though.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supershuttle NYC

Well she apologized, organized the refund and all was forgiven. I wish I could say the same for SuperShuttle.

7. Re: Supershuttle NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 09, 2014