We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May trip to eastern canada and us

Which New York hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aldershot, United...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
May trip to eastern canada and us

My husband and I are planning a trip, landing in Toronto 2nd may, doing the tours and Cn tower then moving on to Niagra. we then have until 18th/19th may to tour and arrive at Ottowa. From there we will be with family and heading off to Alonguin National park for some canoeing.

we would like to fit in some whale watching, finger lakes have been mentioned, a mountain/ hill walk would also be good. we are quite active people used to travelling.

Any ideas and suggestiong would be great.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May trip to eastern canada and us

If you want to whale watch in the eastern U.S. you'd need to go to the Atlantic coast, Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts.

As an alternative, although I don't think it will be any closer, you could drive up the St. Lawrence. Once you get a few hours past Quebec City you have plenty of whale watching opportunities. I know you can do this at Tadoussac, where the Saguenay River enters the St. Lawrence. A bit further east, the Gaspe Peninsula is just spectacular, with lots of opportunities for whale watching and walking. Just brush up a bit on your French, although I've found that the Quebecois don't really care about this once they figure out you're not Canadian (and therefore aren't expected to know French.) You'll notice an incredible improvement in the cuisine once you enter Quebec!

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,105 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May trip to eastern canada and us

Whale watching in the Finger Lakes? Please check you map, as the previous post mentioned your stated destination is a long way from where any whales are to be found.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May trip to eastern canada and us

The OP starts in Toronto on May 2 and doesn't need to be in Ottowa until May 19th. There is ample time to include coastal regions in their "touring" if that's what they would like to do.

4. Re: May trip to eastern canada and us

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 12, 2014