We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Job in White Plains. Know nothing about area. Please help!

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
265 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Job in White Plains. Know nothing about area. Please help!

My husband has been offered a job in White Plains. We currently live in North Carolina and know nothing about the area. Things are moving quickly and I need some advice from locals about where to live.

A few things about us. We’re in our early 40s and have no children. A main motivation for taking this position, and leaving the beach community that we love, would be easy access to NYC. We don’t want to live in the city (too much culture shock, I fear) but want to be able to easily access it. We like to eat at local (not chain) restaurants, go to bars and see live music, and are both athletic. I want to be able to walk around by myself and feel safe.

Right now I work from home and he drives about five minutes to his office. So I’m not sure about an hour-long (or longer!) commute.

We’re not sure how long we’ll be in the area (perhaps just a couple of years), so the two of us, along with our two Golden Retrievers, might be renting a home.

So, what areas should we consider? I’ve looked at White Plains, Greenwich, Stamford. Not sure about the commute times to White Plains from CT. Really unsure about all of this!!!

Thanks so much for your help!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,935 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Job in White Plains. Know nothing about area. Please help!

This post may be deleted because relocation is off-topic for TA. You may want to post to the city data relocation and moving forum: www.city-data.com/forum/

When considering various neighborhoods, housing prices will be a big factor.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,121 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Job in White Plains. Know nothing about area. Please help!

I grew up in Westchester County, and my parents lived in White Plains later in their lives. It's the largest city in Westchester and the central shopping area. You can easily take the train from WP into NYC. If you don't want to live in WP, I'd suggest another town in Westchester with train service to NYC. If you move to CT, your trip to NYC will be longer.

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
265 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Job in White Plains. Know nothing about area. Please help!

Thanks for the information so far! Chris, sorry - I didn't realize this type of topic was prohibited. I just figured there are people on this forum with knowledge of the area. I'll definitely take a look at the website you provided - thanks a bunch for taking the time to share the link!

4. Re: Job in White Plains. Know nothing about area. Please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 05, 2014