We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from NYC

Blackpool
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip from NYC

Hello, I'm looking for some advice on building an itinerary for a road-trip. We're planning to fly to NYC in Sept 2012, spend a couple of nights there then head up along the coast up to Maine, then back through Vermont and New York State, with a couple more days in NYC at the end, then flying back to UK from there.

We're looking to do around 14 nights in total although this may be slightly flexible.

Please can you suggest places to visit, places to stay and maybe advise on driving distances between places. Ideally we wouldn't want more than about 3 hours driving per day and for accommodation, budget is probably up to $130 per room per night.

I would be grateful for any tips, and if this should be in a different part of the forum then please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from NYC

Taking in mind you want to drive about 3 hrs per day.....

Perhaps 1 day -- AM drive NYC to Boston. 4 hrs, but easiest "major" city to reach. Next on to Maine -- you will cross the state border (86 miles) in less than 3 hrs, but where you decide to visit in Maine will determine how long your actual drive is. You could easily reach Kennebunkport and stay overnight there. It's a bit touristy, but also a place where the wealthy summer and has some beautiful shops/restaurants/plenty of places to stay.

You could then continue heading north along the ocean and head for Camden or a bit further to Bar Harbor (or most anywhere in Acadia National Park) . Camden is a "postcard" harbor...get your lobster right off the boats, lots of galleries/shops/definitely tourist oriented and a bit pricey...but picture perfect! Bar Harbor is where we honeymooned. Can't say enough about how beautiful it is...if nature is your thing, this is your place! Plenty of ocean view rooms, lovely B&B's, great little shops/cafes, etc. and some swanky restaurants as well. We LOVE the entire island of Acadia National Park......

Have only been to a handful of places in New Hampshire and Vermont, so I don't feel qualified to address that portion of your trip. However, I would suggest you post your query on both the Vermont and NH forums to get some great local advice!

By the way.....there is a wonderfully easy website you can use to help you plan your trip..... www.mapquest.com. Click on Get Directions. Enter your city of origin and your city of arrival. It gives you mileage/route/and also restaurants and hotels in the area.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Maine
Maine
United States
Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport
Kennebunks, ME
Camden
Camden
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Blackpool
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from NYC

That's great, thank you so much for the advice! Bar Harbor sounds lovely, will definitely look into going there. And thanks for the tip on mapquest, will go and investigate now!:)

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from NYC

You're most welcome. I'll keep an eye on this thread for a bit. Have fun planning...and if you have any more questions, keep 'em coming!

Blackpool
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from NYC

Well I have a provisional itinerary sorted now so I'll run it past you if you don't mind!

Day 1-2 New York City

Day 3 Mystic, CT

Day 4-5 Boston, MA

Day 6 Portland, ME (or somewhere around there)

Day 7-8 Bar Harbor, ME

Day 9 North Conway, NH

Day 10 Burlington, VT (or possibly Montpelier)

Day 11 Saratoga Springs, NY

Day 12-14 NYC (with a trip to Washington on Day 13 via train)

What do you think? The driving distances are not too bad and we are pretty flexible with where to stay but I am quite happy with it so far. Just need ideas on what to do along the way now!

The mapquest site was invaluable in planning the route so thanks once again for the tip on that!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
North Conway
North Conway
Conway, NH
5. Re: Road trip from NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, October 27, 2012