We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self drive vacation in Eastern America

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
156 posts
295 reviews
Save Topic
Self drive vacation in Eastern America

I chose to post in NY forum because its e 3rd most popular one among the US TA forums. :)

I will be taking my 11-yrs old boy with me on a self drive vacation this Nov.

The intended trip will be ard 22 to 26 days, and yes i'm rather ambitious to cover the entire eastern seaboard if possible. Do hear me out and I hope to receive comments and/or suggestions.

I have a choice of flying into Chicago ORD, Toronto YYZ, New York JFK or Washington DC IAD.

The places I wishes to cover would be Chicago - (via Detroit) - Niagara Falls - Toronto - (via Ottawa) - Montreal - Quebec City - (via white mountains) - Boston - New York - Philly - Washington DC - (via Blue ridge pkway north) - Charlotte - (via daytona beach) - Orlando - Key west - Miami - (via Tampa) - Atlanta - (via great smoky) - Knoxville - Chicago.

I intend to spread my itinerary in a way that I drive long distance (keeping to max 500mi a day) on every other day. and it'll just be me and my kid.

I've been to eastern USA many times but never self drove before.

Questions:

1. Is the route hectic? Can I skip any sections entirely?

2. Is New York e preferred port of entry? (so that I can save on parking, collect my rental car when I'm ready to leave NYC and then extend a couple of says nack at NYC if I need to before I go home)

3. Any other pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Lorenz.

Singapore.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
156 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self drive vacation in Eastern America

Sorry this statement shd read as "2. Is New York e preferred port of entry? (so that I can save on parking, collect my rental car when I'm ready to leave NYC and then extend a couple of DAYS BACK at NYC (if I need to) before I go home)"

Mentioned in this post
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self drive vacation in Eastern America

You've posted your question in the New York State forum. You will get more responses if you also post it in the New York City forum, which is more widely read. The NYC forum is here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60763-i5-New_York…

Mentioned in this post
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
156 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self drive vacation in Eastern America

Thanks for highlighting Crans...

4. Re: Self drive vacation in Eastern America

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 am, October 16, 2009