We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos Trip advise

I K
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos Trip advise

We are planning our first trip to New Mexico March 27-Apr 2 flying into Albuquerque and renting a car. We would like to see Albuquerque, Santa Fe & Taos and are looking for suggestions for the best way to see all 3 in 5 days...and fit in a hike somewhere along the way. Looking for ideas on best way to structure our time. Many thanks in advance!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,780 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos Trip advise

Lots of driving in 5 days but doable. Here's a possible route...

Day 1 Arrive Abq. Stay near Old Town. See that area, and Petroglyph Nat Mon. Possibly Sandia Tram.

Day 2 Visit Indian Pueblo Cultural Center, Coronado State Monument in Bernalillo, Tent Rocks Nat Mon and into Santa Fe for late afternoon. Try to stay near the Plaza

Day 3 Visit Plaza area. Try to make this day anyday but Monday as most of the museums are closed. Also visit Canyon Road. Hiking Dale Ball Trails, but leave NOTHING of value in the car or in sight, popular car thief spot!

Day 4 You can do a day trip to Taos, but spending a night would be best. I prefer to take the High Road stopping along the way at Chimayo, Truchas, Las Trampas and then take the Low Road back. Many others on TA prefer the opposite. Once in Taos see Taos Pueblo (but you will have to visit there April 1 or 2 as they are closed until March 31) Maybe Martinez Hacienda. Stay in Taos

Day 5 Back to SF with a possible stop in Los Alamos and Bandelier, then to Abq for the night via Jemez Springs.

I K
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos Trip advise

Thank you so much! I really like the ideas and the suggestions. Thanks also for the tips on closings of museums on Monday! Did not know that...we will target Taos for Monday (April 1st).

Debating between taking the Turquoise Trail from Albuquerque to Santa Fe or going to Tent Rocks and then to Santa Fe as you suggested. Is the Turquoise Trail a must see?

Thanks again!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,780 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos Trip advise

If you are into quirky mining towns with shops and galleries, then take Turquoise Trail. If you want to see some cool geology and hike in a slot canyon, then head to Tent Rocks. 2 totally different places.

I K
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos Trip advise

Thanks! Definitely into cool geology and hike vs. shops/galleries.

Many thanks again!

I K
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos Trip advise

Hi there -- here is what I am thinking for our plan...any comments/suggestions?

Day 1 -- spend in Albuquerque

Day 2 -- head towards Santa Fe. Question: Can we cover Tent Rocks, Bandelier and Cornado State Monument in one day on the way to Santa Fe?

Day 3 - spend in Santa Fe

Day 4 -- Head to Taos, visit Taos Pueblo, Rio Grand Gorge Bridge, return to Santa FE

Day 5 (last day) -- Open....any suggestions? Need to head back to ABQ.

Day 6 - fly out early AM from Albuquerque

Thanks!

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,938 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos Trip advise

IK, you are really pushing to do all that you want in the 6 days.

Day One - If you are flying in on this day, you probably wouldn't get to see and do much in Albuquerque. Albluq. really should be given two days. So, I would arrive day one, and stay over to do day two in Albuquerque.

Day 3, go to Santa Fe. Do Tent Rocks on the way, skip Coronado Monument, spend rest of day in Santa Fe.

Day 4 Santa Fe and Bandelier Nat'l Monument.

Day 5 back to Albuquerque to spend the day. You could take in Coronado Monument and Petroglyph National Monument.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos Trip advise

IK, I like yours & CasaAzul's itinerary that includes Taos.

Taking the high road up to Taos & the low road back is a great suggestion. Be sure to stop in Chimayo at el santuario & on the high road in Las Trampas at the church.

Have a wonderful trip!

Edited: 9:15 pm, March 27, 2013
I K
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos Trip advise

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Day 1 we have full day in ABQ - I shldve mentioned. We arrive the night before.....thanks again ...will write on how our trip turned out.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos Trip advise

If you're planning to see Bandelier, skip Coronado all together, not near as exciting ruin wise.

I K
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos Trip advise

Hi all -- I want to thank everyone for the helpful suggestions and tips. We had a FANTASTIC trip to New Mexico -- one of the best family trips ever.

Day 1 -- We arrived in Albuquerque late, checked in to Econo Lodge near the Plaza. Very basic decent place for the price. No bells and whistles. Nice owner. Fresh fruit, juice, coffee, tea all day. Breakfast average.

Day 2 - Spent the day in Albuquerque –

Started off at Albuquerque Plaza, San Felipe De Nero Church, shopping for jewelry by street vendors -- had a lovely time, we could have spent more time in the plaza. Loved the quaint shops and the beautiful buildings.

Lunch at Quesadilla Grille in the Plaza...it was AWESOME! Probably the best price too.

Then headed to Indian Pueblo Cultural Center -- my two daughters did not get into much, it was ok if you are into museums etc.

Then visited University of New Mexico, loved the campus.

Day 3 - Headed to Tent Rocks National Monument. Did the Canyon Trail. Must see! It was tooo fabulous. LOVED. The views are spectacular and very unique. Must see.

Then on to Santa Fe. Visited Santa Fe plaza. Beautiful architecture, picturesque downtown…loved it

Had dinner at Annapurna, a vegetarian place. Must visit, it was awesome.

Day 4 – Headed to Taos via low-road. Loved the scenary; the Rio Grande is beautiful by your side, with mountains in the distance; drove through Taos down-town and headed to Taos Pueblo. Sadly it was closed to visitors! We then went to Rio Grande Gorge Bridge –spectacular, must see! Did some shopping with street vendors

Visted Neem Karoli Baba Ashram and San Francis De Assisi Church

Day 5 – Headed to Bandelier National Monument. Another MUST see. We did the FALLS TRAIL. It was closed 2/3rds of the way in, but we LOVED the views and it was absolutely worth it.

On the way back, we stopped at the OVERLOOK, where we were able to see the Rio Grande course through the mountains. It was truly spectacular and MUST SEE

Day 6 – Headed back to Albuquerque. Visited Petroglyph National Monument and then on to airport for flight back home.

So I highly recommend New Mexico as a family trip destination. The weather beautiful, not too crowded and the places just too awesome and unique. Thanks to TripAdvisor and all the folks who helped us plan and make it a great trip!