We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway 60 from Socorro to Eagar in February

Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Highway 60 from Socorro to Eagar in February

Taking 5 days to make the loop from Phoenix ->Tucson->Las Cruces->Socorro then either take the 60 back to Phoenix or head north to Albuquerque and take the I-40 to Holbrook/Show Low and then into Phoenix. Any suggestions as best route for scenery, safety, and places to stay/eat along the way. Thanks Ist Time Canadian to NM

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highway 60 from Socorro to Eagar in February

It all depends on the weather. Snow is more apt to occur in the White Mountains of Arizona in February, and some bad weather could occur between Socorro and Show Low. I would not recommend either route unless you really check the weather in New Mexico and Northern Arizona before ventureing out. These are not heavily travelled rouads, with the exception of I-40, and it could be some time before roads get cleared, especially near the Mogollon Rim country, which you would be travelling on a state highway, not a federal. I-40 from Albuquerque to Flagstaff, and south on I-17 would be the best and safest route.

Not sure what number you would call in Arizona, but in New Mexico dial 511 for up-to-date highway conditions. I think Arizona is the same.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,932 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highway 60 from Socorro to Eagar in February

Given good winter roads... The 60 after Eagar. Then takes yer pick of the 60 South or the also scenic,but higher elevation, 260 into Payson...carracar

3. Re: Highway 60 from Socorro to Eagar in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 05, 2014