We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) the Rio Grande - Super Fun!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) the Rio Grande - Super Fun!

We recently returned from a week long road trip into northern New Mexico. I hope to take the time to write up a trip report as we did A LOT! However I wanted to quickly report back on one of our favorite activities while visiting. We are avid rafters, however the water levels have just been so low we decided not to drag our raft down with us. Instead we opted to do Stand Up Paddle Boarding. We have never done this before, but hey, how hard could it be?!

I located an outfitter called New Mexico River Adventures newmexicoriveradventures.com/pages/standup-p… about 25 minutes south of Taos. They rent equipment to individuals - so we could go on our own time schedule, also we had two dogs with us. Plus we did not want to wear a life jacket and helmet - tied the PFDs to the boards though.

I can't express how much fun the four of us had! It was really easy to stand up, I literally hopped on and stood up. It was a good core work-out, we saw lovely scenery down the river, we went at our own pace, and the cost was totally reasonable. As we usually do - my husband hitch hiked back when we felt like being done.

If you are looking for a day to cool down while on vacation, get out on the water, and/or rafting water levels are too low for your liking consider Paddle-boarding. Two thumbs up from us!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) the Rio Grande - Super Fun!

What's SUP?!!!

Now we know! Thanks for the info. "SUP" was a new sport to me. Leave it to the folks around Pilar, to come up with new ways to enjoy the beautiful Rio Grande River Canyon.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,834 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) the Rio Grande - Super Fun!

LOL, Whaaaatsup!? It has started to become very popular around here too - I think the lower river levels this year have caused people to branch out and try new things!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
190 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) the Rio Grande - Super Fun!

Always wanted to try SUP. What better place to do it than NM!! Wish we would have the time this visit.

Hoping you do post your trip report. I'd love to see what other excitement you had. :)

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) the Rio Grande - Super Fun!

SUP on the Rio Grande featured in today's ABQ Journal. abqjournal.com/sports/2012/07/26/paddleboard…

The published photos don't appear in link. I didn't see any with dogs on board.

5. Re: Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) the Rio Grande - Super Fun!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, August 07, 2013