We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help for New Mexico trip w/visit to Meteor Crater in Arizona

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Help for New Mexico trip w/visit to Meteor Crater in Arizona

We are planning trip to New Mexico in March w/teens. Kids want to see/stop at Roswell, NM and now husband and kids really want to see Meteor Crater in Arizona. We have 8 days and can fly into/out of either ABQ or Phoenix, AZ and will have a car. My husband strongly prefers to drive on interstate highways or 4 lane divided roads. He does not like to drive roads where there is only one lane in each direction (if he can help it), though for short stretches he would be fine with it.

We would also like to see White Sands and/or Carlsbad Caverns, (in addition to the Meteor Crater)and Tent Rocks sounds great also, but I don't know if it is realistic to fit all these places in. Ideally we could stay at a hotel 2 -3 days and do day trips, rather than go from hotel to hotel each day. Any suggestions on how to do this (if feasible) would be much appreciated. We like nature and science and some history.

Thank you so much in advance!

Mentioned in this post
New Mexico
New Mexico
United States
Roswell
Roswell
New Mexico
Meteor Crater
Meteor Crater
3,153 Reviews
Winslow, AZ
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
White Sands
White Sands
New Mexico
The Blake at Taos Ski Valley
The Blake at Taos Ski Valley
#1 of 2 hotels in Taos Ski Valley
Blue Swallow Motel
Blue Swallow Motel
#1 of 23 hotels in Tucumcari
Three Bears Lodge
Three Bears Lodge
#1 of 9 hotels in Red River
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,289 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help for New Mexico trip w/visit to Meteor Crater in Arizona

I suggest flying into ALB Tent Rocks can be visited (on secondary roads) to a overnight in Santa Fe ... Then, driving the 285 South to Roswell ,one will be largely on four lane highways ... From Carlsbad a Caverns visit, (lodge in Whites City). To El Paso, on the 180 will be a wide well engineered 2 lane highway drive. As is the 54 to Alamogordo & the 70 to White Sands, continuing to Las Cruces. There, the I-10 will take the family to Tucson area attractions. North on the I-10/I-17 to Flagstaff where 2 lane roads access all attractions ... The I -40 then, with stops ALB return ... Happy trails .. carracar

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Roswell
Roswell
New Mexico
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
New Mexico
Whites City
Whites City
New Mexico
Alamogordo
Alamogordo
New Mexico
White Sands
White Sands
New Mexico
Las Cruces
Las Cruces
New Mexico
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Flagstaff
Flagstaff
Arizona
Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help for New Mexico trip w/visit to Meteor Crater in Arizona

Did you know the admission to Meteor Crater was $18 for adults and $9 for kids? And, that being said it is a long way from New Mexico. Have you been to the Grand Canyon? That is just up the road and should not be missed. If you fly in on Southwest one-ways are the same as roundtrips so you could fly into Phoenix, head north and them work your way east eventually dropping the car in Albuquerque. There is a fee for returning to a different location but you can minimize that with Priceline's name your own price. Multi city fares on other airlines are similar.

Mentioned in this post
New Mexico
New Mexico
United States
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Albuquerque
Albuquerque
New Mexico
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help for New Mexico trip w/visit to Meteor Crater in Arizona

Thank you both for your replies. I am still not sure if we can do all those miles in the 8 days we have (would be around 1200 miles in total); we adults will be fine, but not sure about the kids. We might consider skipping Carlsbad caverns or should we skip Tent Rocks to fit our itinerary to include Meteor Crater?

Yes, we have been to the Grand Canyon and it was great. My husband and kids really want to see a meteor crater :) Is there a meteor crater in New Mexico/AZ to see that would be closer to ABQ? Or something geology/space-related that you might recommend? I saw Deming is known for rock hounding.

Thank you.

Also, what do you think given the time limit we have, should we stay in ABQ and not Santa Fe, since that is another hour of driving, or should we really try to see/stay in Santa Fe.

Mentioned in this post
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
New Mexico
New Mexico
New Mexico
United States
Deming
Deming
New Mexico
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,289 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help for New Mexico trip w/visit to Meteor Crater in Arizona

There are a number of "rocket science" museums on offer at Ft. Bliss (El Paso) & Alamogordo ... Locally, there are a number of holes in the ground ... made by objects falling from the sky ... Unfortunately, on the missile test range & not open to the public ... carracar

Mentioned in this post
Alamogordo
Alamogordo
New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help for New Mexico trip w/visit to Meteor Crater in Arizona

This is certainly the only meteor crater in the U S. To be honest, I have never heard of another anywhere that has been turned into a tourist attraction. Most craters around are volcanic.

Los Alamos, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Los Alamos
Level Contributor
895 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help for New Mexico trip w/visit to Meteor Crater in Arizona

It's not the only meteor crater in the US, but it's particularly well preserved and the displlays are tasteful and informative. For a scientifically inclined family, go there and skip the rather schlocky Roswell stufff. (Of course if you find the schlocky stuff fun, Roswell will be fun.

Mentioned in this post
Roswell
Roswell
New Mexico
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help for New Mexico trip w/visit to Meteor Crater in Arizona

Thank you everyone for your replies. Due to time constraints, we've decided to skip Meteor Crater this time and spend the time in New Mexico (which is a big state!). I notice there are a number of science, such as Bradbury Museum, the New Mexico Museum of Space History in Alamogordo, National Museum of Nuclear Science and History in ABQ. Any thoughts on which one is the best if we have time to visit just one. We will be spending time both in ABQ/Santa Fe/Los Alamos and Alamogordo. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
New Mexico
New Mexico
United States
New Mexico Museum of Space History
New Mexico Museum of...
487 Reviews
Alamogordo, NM
Alamogordo
Alamogordo
New Mexico
The National Museum of Nuclear Science & History
The National Museum of...
1,015 Reviews
Albuquerque, NM
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Los Alamos
Los Alamos
New Mexico
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help for New Mexico trip w/visit to Meteor Crater in Arizona

"This is certainly the only meteor crater in the U S. " LOL

Certainly not. Meteor Crater AZ is just a very young one.

Example a large meteor crater just outside Montgomery Alabama. 4.7 miles across about 69 million years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetumpka_crater

Mentioned in this post
Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help for New Mexico trip w/visit to Meteor Crater in Arizona

Interesting, I was not aware of this crater. Thanks. If we are ever in the area, we will check it out.

10. Re: Help for New Mexico trip w/visit to Meteor Crater in Arizona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 29, 2018